View Poll Results: Which issue with kingdom management frustrates you the most?

Voters
177. You may not vote on this poll
  • There are too many events and projects happening at the same time

17 9.60%
  • Events and projects take too much time to complete

53 29.94%
  • Having only up to 10 advisors at the same time is not enough

4 2.26%
  • Having 3 NPC candidates available per each of the 10 advisor roles is not enough

60 33.90%
  • There is not enough information about kingdom management in the game

18 10.17%
  • It is too hard to decrease your kingdom's Unrest levels

13 7.34%
  • It is too hard to get more BPs / There is always too little BPs available

12 6.78%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I'd like better explanations of how and when exactly new advisor positions are unlocked. Also, There REALLY aren't enough advisors. and the 3 per selection doesn't always make sense. Valerie would work perfectly fine as my General. Jubilost would be kind of hilarious as Regent.

Also, I've repeatedly run into issues where the Kingdom locks into a slow death spiral of missed rolls on Normal. And It's sort of weird that kingdom management difficulty stays normal when you switch the game difficulty to Easy.
    Last edited by Stratagemini; 01-16-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Senior Member The Infinity Sock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilczajagoda View Post
    This so much. I'd prefer a button to convert money to bp on the kingdom management screen.
    It does same a bit odd that we don't have that as a option you can tell this game was rush out don't get me wrong it is a good game but if owlcat give it one more year of developing it could have been a great game the number one rule is don't rush making a game

Ranking up a stat requires me to be unavailable for 14 days while events fly by that I can do nothing about.

Can't I have a VIceroy that I can "turn on" when I'm unavailable like that for a project that will automatically assign the best candidate until I am available again?

Or better yet, can we lower the time it takes to rank up, or not require the main character to do nothing while the time passes by?

Also, It would be nice to have some transparency on how Kingdom rolls work. I assume they're based off advisor stats? but it would be good to know which ones in game. My Kingdom went into a death spiral because Harrim's failed every undead Cyclopes roll he's attempted (as a positive energy Channeling Cleric he should be able to handle some undead, does he not get a bonus?) and Valerie's just failed literally EVERY roll. Just every single one she's ever attempted. I had this issue in the Alpha with Jubilost and the Mining event. I think that one was a bug, but even if this one isn't actually a bug, it feels like one.

Now, part of that could be helped by adding in some lower end DCs mixed in with the higher end ones so that you have a chance to recover between failing rolls. But It would also be nice If I could figure out what Headband or Belt I need to buy to keep them on my advisor team.

Keep in mind, this isn't on Unfair. This is on Normal. If Valerie can't do the work of a Regent on a normal kingdom management run, she's not worth even including as a possible Regent. She's a hidden trap made for failure. And yes. There's an Invincible Kingdom mode. But that feels a lot like Bowling with bumpers on. It's cheating and it makes me feel bad to have to do it. As a GM, if my players are failing every will save because they can't make them except on a 20, I lower Will save DCs, or I at least give them some advice to explain what's happening.

Candidates for an Advisor position should at least be capable enough that you can make it to the end of the game using them in the position they're earmarked for.

This all makes me want more advisor options so I don't have to use Valerie, as a regent. And yes, I know that that exponentially increases the burden on the kingdom writing team, but if I can't have more options, I at least want both or all three options I get to be at least sort of on par with each other.

The easiest fix is probably the easiest fix is more kingdom building transparency mixed with scaling DCs after repeated failures (either openly or secretly) so that Valerie and Harrim don't inevitably ruin my kingdom. But I'd happily enjoy more possible advisors who I can use instead...

I think the event timers are too long, especially early on when you don't have an adviser for every slot. They just sort of pile up and go away before whoever can do them gets back. Maybe an "attend to personally" option, where you skip a few days but handle tasks yourself. Also, I'd make the rank up system a bit more transparent and reduce the time of the "rank up" tasks.

Looking At the Poll

I feel like these three issues are related and fixing one helps the others:

There are too many events and projects happening at the same time
    Events and projects take too much time to complete
    Having only up to 10 advisors at the same time is not enough

If events and projects took less time to complete then having 10 (or fewer since you don't start with all of them) would be less of an issue. And if they completed faster than having so many projects and events would also be less of an issue.

This:
    Having 3 NPC candidates available per each of the 10 advisor roles is not enough
    Is somewhat linked to having only 10 advisers.

I would suggest having some "Troubleshooter" slots, even if only two of them, that you can put any advisor in and they could tackle any issue, project, or event. Combine that with reducing the time required to complete events and I think you've ameliorated, if not solved, all of those issues.

Now these two issues:

It is too hard to decrease your kingdom's Unrest levels
    It is too hard to get more BPs / There is always too little BPs available

Are related as well. From what I've read the main way to create unrest is to run out of BPs. If the cost of projects is reduced and there's more warning about things that cost you BPs before you agree to them or run into them then those issues are reduced together.

The last issue:

There is not enough information about kingdom management in the game

Is probably the simplest yet most difficult to solve. We need more information. About everything. At every level. If players can make more informed decisions every other issue will be lessened.

I voted Events take to much time, but really mean the events that rank up your advisors should not lock you out of the rest of your kingdom management for 14 days. Ranking up an advisor should really be a background instant event as much as leveling your adventuring character. It should not take you away from managing the rest of your Kingdom.

I concur with the people saying that having only 3 candidates for the role of advisor is too low, especially when some are hidden behind uncommon choice during dialogues with NPC and others can be casually slain by story driven events and I can't raise them for death.
    A few more replacements, with different alignments, will be nice.

I did lose Kesten in the Womb of Lamashtu and that forced me into some choice of the role of warden that don't fit my play style (Regonar). I too often chose something different from what he propose at rank up and if he renunce to his role as advisor I will be let with only Ekundayo as a Warden or a Minister (Jaethal too has died).

A problem that isn't addressed in the survey:

I have spoken of the game with a few friends and one of them has brought it the other day.
    I informed him of a few things, like: "you roll a Perception or Trickery check only once for each rank" and "you need to camp in a map to get the characters to chat to each other and that is needed to progress the romances". His reply was "Good game, but making a PDF with the basic rules and this kind of hints or the kingdom rules would have hurt someone?"

I feel that that can be a problem with a lot of players.

- * - * -

Issue rank for the other questions:

2) Events and projects take too much time to complete
    Somewhat true, but at the same time, it gives the feeling of developing a country.

3) There is not enough information about kingdom management in the game

4) It is too hard to decrease your kingdom's Unrest levels
    I think that some projects and building should do so. As an example, building the first orphanage or hospital in a town could reduce unrest.
    I think some of the projects do it, or maybe not failing any roll for some time, but it is no clear why sometimes the Unrest decrease without explanation.

Not really problems:

5) Having only up to 10 advisors at the same time is not enough
    Part of the feeling of managing a country.

6) There are too many events and projects happening at the same time
    Now you can drop a project and recover most of the BPs, I don't know if you can redo the project, but it seems to get the right balance.
    The only problem is the unstoppable 14 days project that locks up your lord.
    The only problem it that there are still a few problems that crop up the 27 of the month and edn the 1st of the next month.

7) It is too hard to get more BPs / There is always too little BPs available
    Not really, as soon as the NPCs crafters begin to give you their products you have an income that can be easily converted in BPs. At this time (just annexed Pitax) I think I have get something like 400.000 gps from selling unusable equipment gifted from the crafters and I have several other hundreds of thousand of gps of items in my chest.
    A single Escapist crossbow is worth 20.000 gps, 250 BPs. The Black Raven staff 58.000 gps, 725 BPs, and none of my characters will ever use it..
    Last edited by Caine; 01-16-2019 at 10:24 PM.

I think my biggest issue is not only that projects take ages, but also that it's difficult to actually focus on the kingdom building aspect when the majority of main quests are on a timer. That makes it awkward to juggle, and it's not fun when I have to choose between passing up on a great opportunity or actually finishing the game.

I picked choice 5 for a few reasons -
    The completely hidden nature of when/how to unlock additional adviser slots was extremely frustrating.
    Not knowing how an event being a 'problem' vs 'opportunity' mattered.
    The fact that the buildings available early in the game are for the most part a waste to build, and that you are far better off if you save BP for special buildings available later, projects and events. I think you should either make those early buildings significantly cheaper or give each new town a number of free buildings.
    Milestones that allow you to add the Kamelands and North Narlmarches are hidden. I spent close to 6 months trying to figure out how to add the North Narlmarches without 'cheating' by looking it up, and had been one simple event away from it the entire time, the related adviser just happened to be doing other tasks.

3 candidates for each role would be fine if they were all always available - but they aren't. Three per role is only the theoretical, and actual game choices/storyline/etc reduces those numbers in ways you often can't predict (more lack of information regarding kingdom management!). I wish there was a way to at least hire John Smith to be a warm body in the chair at +0 so I could have him perform tasks where his bonus doesn't matter. Or allow me to fill any role if I stay in the capital for the duration.

Events/Projects take up a lot of time, but not entirely an unreasonable amount - what I found more annoying were the events that automatically passed time without allowing any management to happen whatsoever - if I have an adviser 2 days from finishing his task, he spends 12 days doing nothing if I do a task that passes time automatically. I get not being able to adventure while doing those events, but advisers should still have the presence of mind to start new tasks while I'm away/busy. And I think region upgrades shouldn't auto-pass time at all. The first time that happened to me I either missed the warning it would happen or there wasn't one at all. It feels like you gave us all this time to do things, then used the events/projects that pass time automatically to drastically eat away at that time, making the actual time we had available significantly less than the apparent time available. Just give us less time in the first place and let us manage it well.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast