Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rush stag lord or take time exploring?

Hi,

on my new playthrough I'm rushing the questline of chapter 1 and find that I would be able to finish handing in the request of stag lord under 2 weeks,

question is :

is it worth to hand in the quest early? Or should I take as much time exploring my territory as possible before handing in the quest?

or a little bit of both? Spend a few weeks exploring and handing it in a month before the dead line?

If you did it in less then 30days yo get a +2 Dueling Sword. I think the troll trouble countdown doesn't change if you end early.
    Last edited by Blood Dragon95; 01-24-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Beating Chapter 1 (which is really talking to Oleg to move to your coronation) early does not seem to give you more time before Chapter 2 Troll Trouble alert starts. At least beating it in 45 days for me only made the first Troll Trouble alert happen earlier than previous games.

I recommend doing as much as you can before the Stag lord, so you are level 4-5 when facing that area (with a full party), as there are a lot of mobs and you risk fighting them all at once + the Stag Lord if things go badly.

Again, Killing the Stag Lord does not end Chapter 1, so you can rush him, then mop up the rest of the map-zones - but you have to do most of it before Stag Lord anyway (Temple of Elk, Sycamore Tree). The only ones that are hard are the fight at Ratnook Hill (that's rough without Communal Resist Fire and some way to beat their DR Silver)

thanks for the tip blood dragon, then again a +2 dueling sword would be tempting for one of my run but not my current one as I am aiming for a scimitar weapon focus build (that juicy +4 scimitar with the uber thunder crit is just delicious)

Thanks for the tips Poobah, I knew that killing stag lord does not end chapter 1 that's why I said before handing the quest in.

doing the elk-technic leage-sycamore brings me to about lvl 4-4 and a half, if you meta the quests rather than roleplaying them (which is ugh for me usually but a man gotta do what he gotta do)

I never dit the wererat encounter (or at least that's what I assume what ratnook hill location is), do I need a druid for communal resist fire or can I get it as a scroll?
    Unfortunately I have no dagger wielding character in this current run, is there any other cold iron weapon or can I bypass their DR with another weapon?

thanks for the answers

@Patriarche:

Glad to help.

The Rats have DR 10/silver, and the only thing that beats that is a +3 weapon, or Mithril (of which I have seen very few in the game). So realistically you need to kill them with Power Attack, SNeak Attack, or spell damage. They're all immune to magic missile (somehow they have a shield spell up). You can buy scrolls of communal resist fire and communal delay poison from Jhod at Oleg's in Chapter 1. Mostly, being level 4-5 is about having the hit points, saves, AC, and to-hit/damage to actually kill the darn things before all the fire-bombs wipe out your party. But they do have sweet loot for level 3-5 (I think there's a belt of dex+2 and a headband of int+2, plus maybe some alchemist leather armor).

With the rats, just before you enter the cave a bell goes off that causes them to buff to all hell. If you rest after the bell, but before you go in. The 2 melee are unbuffed ;)

would that be ok to wait for chapter 2 before going there?

I didnt want to start a new thread so I'll just be asking there since apparently you did the game a fer times Grand Poobah

you know about the golden toad that we find in sycamore early game (chapter 1)? It is an equipabble amulet. Seems like vendor trash, but I wondered if it had some use you could know of?

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patriarche View Post
    would that be ok to wait for chapter 2 before going there?
    Yes, I did that myself on my first playthrough, waiting until I was level 7 I think (Not sure for the second playthrough). No consequences as far as I could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebob86 View Post
    With the rats, just before you enter the cave a bell goes off that causes them to buff to all hell. If you rest after the bell, but before you go in. The 2 melee are unbuffed ;)
    The bell is in fact a trap, so you can spot and disarm it. DC is 32 iirc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast