Cannot create a new character since 1.2

Having finished my second run of the game, I tried creating a new character and ended with that :

I think this 1.2 update still need some work...

PS : my portrait folder has around 500 portrait files stored in it but it wasn't an issue with previous version of the game

Custom portraits are pretty broken ATM, but if you clean out your portrait folder, you can get one custom portrait to work with some fiddling while importing. You might have to use the import tool in game and refresh a couple of times, but you should be able to use 1 portrait right for now, until they fix this. I know this doesn't do much if you want to have a bunch of custom hired henchmen, but at least you can have one for your charname.

confirming this

I can't create a custom character with a portrait other than my first, otherwise I've just thought of a potential workaround until the devs fix this
    (just thought of it I'm currently on break in my job, so I'll try tonight and confirm this)

1 - go to the custom portrait folder
    2- move out all folder in your desktop temporarily (DON'T delete them)
    3- put a single folder named with a a different number than one that already exist (exemple : I have 1 to 13 folders in my custom portrait folder, I'd move everyone one of them, if I want to create a character with folder 008, I'd put only this folder in the custom portrait folder)
    4- go in game, create your character, (I think it doesn't need to be named ''001'', it just needs to be first)
    5- save and exit (disclaimer : if your main character is a custom portrait which is folder with another number than the one that currently is alone in your custom portrait folder(ex : 004 or anything else), your portrait may not show. don't worry, follow the other steps it'll come back
    6- if you want to create another character with a different portrait, repeat step 2-3 but this time put the other folder (ex : 010)
    7 - create said character and repeat the steps until you get all the custom characters you want
    8- once everything is finished and your game is saved, move back all the folders in the custom character folder, and everyone should have their portraits displaying.

It should work. Yesterday I created another character by replacing my portrait in 001 and my main character was 013, but it still showed, So it tells me that the game still consider the existence of all folders but can only recognize the first for a character creation due to a bug introduced in 1.2

Once the bugs are fixed, there shouldn't be any issue displaying portraits by doing this.

Update 1.2.1is supposed to fox it

Trying it right now : it works
    Last edited by Arkhos94; 01-28-2019 at 06:06 PM.

There was an issue with custom portraits that was patched today. Did you check to see if it helped your case as well?

Edit: whoops, didn't refresh the page before posting, sorry! Who would've thought keeping around 20 forum tabs open for prolonged periods of time could lead to confusion?..
    Last edited by k0tarsis; 01-28-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k0tarsis View Post
    Edit: whoops, didn't refresh the page before posting, sorry! Who would've thought keeping around 20 forum tabs open for prolonged periods of time could lead to confusion?..
    20 years of internet with many years of intense forum-posting with dozens of tabs open, and I still make that mistake on occasion... ^^

20 years of internet with many years of intense forum-posting with dozens of tabs open, and I still make that mistake on occasion... ^^
    For me it got much worse exactly once tabs became a thing. When you actually had to open new windows for every link or thread, I followed a strict 1-window-per-session routine - otherwise my brain started to overheat. Switching from window to window causes the same sort of cognitive memory wipe that moving from room to room does, and I kept forgetting what the hell I wanted to read or type.

Quote Originally Posted by k0tarsis View Post
    For me it got much worse exactly once tabs became a thing. When you actually had to open new windows for every link or thread, I followed a strict 1-window-per-session routine - otherwise my brain started to overheat. Switching from window to window causes the same sort of cognitive memory wipe that moving from room to room does, and I kept forgetting what the hell I wanted to read or type.
    Oh God I hear you, when I was doing my college degree the last year had so much intensive researchs sessions mandatory, sometime I had to work with 5-6 windows having between 8-12 tabs open for each of them, and I would juggle through them while typing alt+tab reaaaally fast, doing this for 6-12 hours 4-5 times a week.

after a couple months my brain hurted so much, I bought two new monitors screen and kept it at one window for each screen, way easier to keep track. 3 monitors is now my standard when I have an intensive research session to do :p