Lesser totem Barbarian (claw attack doesn't work?)

So, I wanted to create a new barbarian with claw attacks and bite attacks (for a new amiri build of mine).
    The main rule is two claws attacks or, if you are wearing a 1h weapon, one weapon attack and one claw attack at -5.
    This rule is currently working with a light weapon, but not with another type of weapon...
    If you use a longsword (for example, it should go with a bastard sword too) your character is gonna use this longsword with two hands instead.
    And you have no claw attack at all...

This was a design decision made by the team.
    Basically, by Paizo rules, when you don't have anything in your second hand (and claws count as a "free hand"), you take your weapon with both hands and hit with extra force (with a 1.5 Str bonus). This doesn't apply to light weapons, though. So with a longsword, in tabletop Pathfinder you always have to tell your GM whether you're hitting with the longsword+claw or with the longsword held in two hands. This was impossible to implement conveniently in a CRPG, so we've decided to make your character always pick the "longsword in two hands" option.

What is strange is it is actually working with Regongar.
    But it is working througth spell combat. When you activate spell combat your character is using his 1h weapon with only one hand (+str and not +1,5str). Then if you are activating Grow Claws, you have a secondary claw attack at -5.
    So what is frustrating to me is the fact that it is already done. The feature is already working. All they have to do is make a trigger like Grow Claws to enable/disable the secondary natural attack.

^ Wow, that is ironic, because AFAIK based on my understanding of tabletop rules, Spell Combat SHOULDN'T work when using "off hand" claw. (or doing anything at all with off-hand, e.g. holding onto a climbing rope: all these would preclude weapon 2WF and also should preclude Spell Combat)

But I agree w/ Larhtas that solution is simple & along the lines used by Spell Combat: a selective "state" button so game has info it needs. I can see why devs didn't do that initially, because the ability isn't supposed to require activation (other than Raging), but activating Totem Claws can be "free action" and persist between Rages (even while having no effect outside Rage, similar to Rage Stances), to simplify and stream-line usage (i.e. allowing players to "leave it on all the time") while giving proper mechanical benefits and flexibility (you might want to "leave claws on all the time" until facing an enemy with large DR that needs big hits to overcome).
    Last edited by Quandary; 02-07-2019 at 01:13 AM.

Exactly!
    I am myself a computer scientist so it is really frustrating because to me it is lazy coding. All here is about boolean, 0 or 1 in this case or another.
    Like if your are using a claw and spell casting you set (1)SpellCasting and (1)Claw. If you have used a spell the last 6 sec you set (1)CastSpell.
    You permit the use of the Claw only if (1)SpellCasting+(1)Claw+(0)CastSpell otherwise no claws attacks.

Same for rage : you have to get an enable/disabke trigger for lesser totem. Then : (1)InRage+(1)LesserTotemEnable. Just booleans...
    Because the way it is designed... Who is using Lesser Totem ? I am pretty sure than nobodies does except to get it as a prerequies.

But please think about it with Amiri using a standard (not huge) bastard sword and a claw attack with her other hand it is really powerfull with the +2 bonus damage of the rage + Linzi song. And this is the basics rules of the game. Please fix it, make Lesser totem usable for other reason than prerequies.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by k0tarsis View Post
    This was a design decision made by the team.
    Basically, by Paizo rules, when you don't have anything in your second hand (and claws count as a "free hand"), you take your weapon with both hands and hit with extra force (with a 1.5 Str bonus). This doesn't apply to light weapons, though. So with a longsword, in tabletop Pathfinder you always have to tell your GM whether you're hitting with the longsword+claw or with the longsword held in two hands. This was impossible to implement conveniently in a CRPG, so we've decided to make your character always pick the "longsword in two hands" option.
    That's a shame, because it also prevents the use of some combos with the Crane Wing Feat and subFeats

When I turn spell combat on with Reg, he wields the weapon one handed, but when I turn it off he wields it 2 handed. If you do it in combat you have to wait till the next round for him to switch.