View Poll Results: Do you want to see Turned Based as an option in PF: Kingmaker?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think TB would be a great option.

18 43.90%
  • No.

23 56.10%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looks like POE has launched a turned based option!

TBH I was a bit disappointed to see this game was going to be RTwP. Having turn based combat, true to the PnP game, as an option would get me back into it. Lets do this Owlcat games!

I certainly would never play in turn based mode and would rather they spend their time adding more classes, companions, races and story content. In a way you can play in turn based mode already, by having the game auto-pause each turn. I know it's not the same, but it's an option.

Senior Member JulietRosalieMelusine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHappyAngry View Post
    ...would rather they spend their time adding more classes, companions, races and story content.
    I agree.

In a way you can play in turn based mode already, by having the game auto-pause each turn. I know it's not the same, but it's an option.
    Strongly disagree, it's nothing like turn based.
    I vastly prefer RTwP and hope they don't add turn based mode, even if it's optional. That would mean missed opportunity to add to the story, to squish the bugs, to add new meaningful content.

Go play other games if you like turn based combat. It's your mistake for buying this game if you so love the turn based system, next time you should be more smarter.

I'm with DrHappyAngry. For Owlcat to turn Kingmaker as TB compatible, they'd have to adjust most of the encounters (otherwise TB combat will be drag due to too many "trashmobs") - also, Owlcat made it very clear why they went with RTwP during the kickstarter phase.

I certainly would never play in turn based mode and would rather they spend their time adding more classes, companions, races and story content. In a way you can play in turn based mode already, by having the game auto-pause each turn. I know it's not the same, but it's an option.
    Agree.

I am always disappointed when a game is announced as being TB, and given that most current games in this genre are TB I have zero sympathy for the OP's POV. I think TB game developers should be the ones pressured to add a RTwP option!

The turn-based mode is being added to PoE2 because of the dedicated work of a few members of Obsidian's team over several months, and it's still in a Beta mode while they fix bugs, balance abilities, and redesign encounters that become too tedious or hard to manage in the new mode. Given how much the Owlcats team is still working on its other DLC and still squashing bugs, I wouldn't expect them to be devoting time and team members to a big overhaul like redesigning the basics of the main gameplay.

On top of that, PoE has more freedom with its turn-based mode to design it to whatever they think works best for its gameplay. If PF:KM tries to implement a turn-based mode, they'll need to go back on all of the design decisions they made that work better with RTWP to try to perfectly match the way that Pathfinder works at the table. So much of the game - missing abilities, changed abilities, the way terrain and maps are built, the stats of enemies, the pacing, the number of enemies and combats, etc. - is built with the intention of playing in a RTWP system. Adding a turn-based mode would be a ton of work and while I appreciate that Obsidian added it for their game, I think that adding it to PF:KM would run into bigger problems because it would have very little freedom in what it would look like and so many decisions in the game would probably not work as well in turn-based mode.

DOS (Divinity Original Sin) 1&2 is turn-based, if it helps you to ''get you back into it''. plus, you can play coop (DOS1 is 2player coop and DOS2 is 4 players coop).

They advertised PF:KM as a rebirth of the baldur's gate genre, and it never featured TB (as far as my knowledge go, given I've completed most games of the genre). it has always been RTwP, so they're not entitled to add a TB option.

It's funny that some players are dead set on playing a turn based game, when RTwP was considered a major improvement when it was first introduced in games (I'm thinking about the UFO/X-COM serie, for instance).

I voted "No", because:

1) It would really slow down trash encounters,
    2) It would require alot of work and isn't worth the effort. For instance, how would "Touch of Good" (which lasts 1 round and is used out of combat most of the time) be handled ?

In addition, a turn based combat system has its charms, but so has RTwP. We have RTwP in this game, and that's fine.
    Last edited by Matt; 02-15-2019 at 12:39 PM.

the end turn pause option is largely enough if you want a turn by turn feature

Not really, as designating your next actions at end of your turn but before you know outcome of other characters' intervening turns is extremely divergent from D&D/Pathfinder Turn based play, unless you want to roleplay a drunk/brain-damaged character with extremely slow decision making/reaction time, and even such characters would have alot better reactivity/situational awareness than End of Turn Pause action designation. Never mind how continual movement impacts AoE spell targetting, where restricting oneself to AoE designation at End of Turn would be formula for missing alot of enemies and/or hitting alot of allies. (And spell targetting is just most obvious example). Of course, the enemies/NPCs would not be so restricted, because Pause options don't affect AI operation.

Really, the choice re: when characters can 1st begin to move (in encounter) is not dictated by RTwP approach, and I could see different dynamic of that which could be viably implemented via a Mod (i.e. "pausing" a character and not allowing any movement nor other actions (even 'free actions like Rage') until Init/Turn comes up, more closely hewing to tabletop unlike current version, while still operating within RTwP paradigm... just more tightly controlling how Init determines when chars start reacting to combat re: movement and free actions). Not that I think the OP would be particularly excited about that, despite it being closer to pen & paper dynamic.

But I agree there was never any reasonable expectation for Kingmaker to provide D&D Turn system, and even if I don't think Turns are unredeemably bad in CRPG, I don't think it is effective usage of Owlcat's limited dev resources to focus on upending core gameplay system. Consider that many of the players who DO like RTwP still find the game lacking and wanting further depth WHILE being 100% happy with the RTwP mechanic, so even if you got this wish of yours, that would only mean you and Turn-based fans would simply be in the same boat that RTwP fans now are in, happy with base mechanic but finding broader aspects of the game limiting and so on. It's just not a constructive direction to put dev resources. And to be clear, the same would apply if it were Turn-based from the start, and some people "wanted" RTwP.
    Last edited by Quandary; 02-16-2019 at 03:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast