Time limit issues

I know this has been brought up many many times,but still need help from veterans:
    ================================================== ===============

1.Should I take my time exploring in chapter 1 or finish it asap for the extra reward? If I finish it quickly, do I have time later to come back for unexplored areas?

2.I've read there are invisible timer from chapter 2 on, and I don't like it. What should I do to prevent fail a quest or kingdom just because I don't know there's a time constraints placed on?

3.Anything I should look out(certain quest or event) while I explore the world?

4.How do I know how much time I have to finish a quest or event before it's damaging my kingdoms?
    ================================================== ===============

Generally I play in a style to minimize rests and utilize all my spells/abilities, while stingy to limited use resources(wands,potions,.....). I am doing a lot of combats while all my party are in their fatigue or even exhaustion stats simply to minimize rest time. Still, I don't like a time limit especially invisible ones going go to strip off my fun. That kind of invisible pressures is driving me nuts. :(
    Last edited by edward0409jr@gmail.com; 02-17-2019 at 10:29 AM.

1. It's personal preference, if you have a full squad you are happy with & they are reasonably equipped, I would close out the chapter and move forward - but a case could be made for scouring the landscape for more xp, items & cash prior to the showdown with the Stag Lord.

2. It is not as bad as it sounds, if there are big kingdom shaping events underway (they will list at the very top of your quest journal, under a separate heading) I try and focus those down *and* avoid doing anything that has a 14 day time runoff. - really as long as you aren't wasting multiple weeks of time you can finish them before approaching "enrage timers".

3. The Bald Hilltop Timer, I'll also keep an eye on my various barony tasks if I see that a task will complete in 5 days - I'll try to be somewhere where I can re-assign that advisor when the task completes. In a similar vein if I have a bunch of Advisor tasks that will complete in a few days, I might skip time / run a quick errand - let them complete before running a mandatory 14 day runoff task.

4. Honestly not sure, I try not to get to the point where I'll start taking those kinds of hits.

---

There are some "tricks" to avoiding fatigue / exhaustion, a Paladin Hospitalier can use lay on hands to clear fatigue & exhaustion, a community Priest can dispel fatigue, lesser restoration will also clear fatigue & exhaustion. Carrying a minimal load of stuff delays fatigue.

That being said, resting isn't *that* big of a time killer that I would worry about it too much, fatigue is "fine" but exhaustion status can really put you in some bad spots. I will almost always rest prior to entering a dungeon or new wilderness zone.

Quote Originally Posted by koz-ivan View Post
    1. It's personal preference, if you have a full squad you are happy with & they are reasonably equipped, I would close out the chapter and move forward - but a case could be made for scouring the landscape for more xp, items & cash prior to the showdown with the Stag Lord.

2. It is not as bad as it sounds, if there are big kingdom shaping events underway (they will list at the very top of your quest journal, under a separate heading) I try and focus those down *and* avoid doing anything that has a 14 day time runoff. - really as long as you aren't wasting multiple weeks of time you can finish them before approaching "enrage timers".

3. The Bald Hilltop Timer, I'll also keep an eye on my various barony tasks if I see that a task will complete in 5 days - I'll try to be somewhere where I can re-assign that advisor when the task completes. In a similar vein if I have a bunch of Advisor tasks that will complete in a few days, I might skip time / run a quick errand - let them complete before running a mandatory 14 day runoff task.

4. Honestly not sure, I try not to get to the point where I'll start taking those kinds of hits.

---

There are some "tricks" to avoiding fatigue / exhaustion, a Paladin Hospitalier can use lay on hands to clear fatigue & exhaustion, a community Priest can dispel fatigue, lesser restoration will also clear fatigue & exhaustion. Carrying a minimal load of stuff delays fatigue.

That being said, resting isn't *that* big of a time killer that I would worry about it too much, fatigue is "fine" but exhaustion status can really put you in some bad spots. I will almost always rest prior to entering a dungeon or new wilderness zone.
    Thanks for your kind answers. Still..

1.If I go for the bonus reward in 30 days, will there be time after to finish those unexplored area?

2,3,4 These are precious suggestions, I just hope the Dev could do something to let all these look more unambiguous, since it seems a lot of the complaints across the community are associated with time managing between kingdom building and exploration. Been trying various builds so haven't gone far into the main plots, so can I take my time doing all side quests before doing the main? Because I am afraid if I do the main plot early, next chapter will be triggered before I have time to finish side quests and unexplored areas. But reading for your suggestions, it seems delay in main plot could lead to unwanted situations?

To be honest,the so-called soft cap in time is literally worse, since I don't know how to plan ahead and max my gain without failing a time sensitive mission.

And fatigue and encumbrance are my biggest enemies now. Part of it is due to lack of merchants, so I am trucking all those loots back to Oleg's post for golds. Stupid or greedy or both? lol. It's a pity none of the companions have tools you mention to remove fatigues. Lesser restoration is single target spell so doesn't help much early on.
    Last edited by edward0409jr@gmail.com; 02-17-2019 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edward0409jr@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks for your kind answers. Still..

1.If I go for the bonus reward in 30 days, will there be time after to finish those unexplored area?
    Afaik - yes. the lone exception I noticed is if you skip Octavia & Regonar's Technic Encampment you might be kind of boned because that area closes after you become Baron.

2,3,4 These are precious suggestions, I just hope the Dev could do something to let all these look more unambiguous, since it seems a lot of the complaints across the community are associated with time managing between kingdom building and exploration. Been trying various builds so haven't gone far into the main plots, so can I take my time doing all side quests before doing the main? Because I am afraid if I do the main plot early, next chapter will be triggered before I have time to finish side quests and unexplored areas. But reading for your suggestions, it seems delay in main plot could lead to unwanted situations?
    If you finish a chapter early there will be a significant amount of time "left over" before the next chapter triggers.

for example here is sort of how I've been doing it:

1. beat stag lord before the time expires (listed in your journal)

then kingdom build & run side quests.

2. chapter 2 triggering event.
    -
    follow main plot asap, complete main quest while doing a few side areas that we stumble across.

3. chapter 3 triggering event

follow main plot asap, complete main quest while doing a few side areas that we stumble across.

rinse & repeat, moral of the story is you will have time to adventure & kingdom build - but don't completely lose sight of main plot objectives.

--------------

as far as loot goes - there is a whole truckload of loot that has a very poor ratio of weight to gold value. (non magic Padded, Leather & Hide armors for example) it may be worth just dumping all that stuff vs carrying it back for a few gold.

Quote Originally Posted by koz-ivan View Post
    Afaik - yes. the lone exception I noticed is if you skip Octavia & Regonar's Technic Encampment you might be kind of boned because that area closes after you become Baron.

If you finish a chapter early there will be a significant amount of time "left over" before the next chapter triggers.

for example here is sort of how I've been doing it:

1. beat stag lord before the time expires (listed in your journal)

2. chapter 2 triggering event.
    -

3. chapter 3 triggering event

rinse & repeat, moral of the story is you will have time to adventure & kingdom build - but don't completely lose sight of main plot objectives.

--------------

as far as loot goes - there is a whole truckload of loot that has a very poor ratio of weight to gold value. (non magic Padded, Leather & Hide armors for example) it may be worth just dumping all that stuff vs carrying it back for a few gold.
    You best! That certainly is helpful. Thank you.

1. you can take your time exploring in first chapter, but because of the fog preventing you from going very far it takes less than 2 weeks to explore everything. The little ressources on the map are claimable at chapter 2, but finding them during chapter 1 may help figure out a nice route to claim all of them once you can (to claim them, travel to them and it will ask you between 15 to 30BP to claim).

Honestly you should go for 30 days clearing, after a full 2-3 weeks of exploring the map (DON'T do the rat hill encounter, too hard for the beginning of the game), you will be able to tackle the stag lord. It is implied but not confirmed, so I might be wrong, but I believe if you finish chapter 1 within 30 days, you not only get a special reward but you also get at least an additionnal month to start building your kingdom. DON'T do the trade agreement with the mayor, it's a ripoff.

2. Your goal once chapter 2 begins is to hire Jubilost. Just west of tuskdale (your capital) there is a little spot from which you can cross the river called ''skunk river''. visit it right away, it is not a requirement but will help you knowing when you can recruit him, as there will be a red exclamation mark on skunk river once the event has been triggered, if it wasn't already triggered at your first visit. You will need to have strong STR check or mobility or athletic checks for that, save scum, you need to save his drowning cart in order to recruit him right away. The question mark usually appear when you get your first troll report in the kingdom events, so it's ok if it takes time.

Bald Hilltop is your priority. Tristian and Jhod will give you a 30 day timer that doesn't start until you met them, so you don't have to worry about missing that, then you can always see the remaining days in your journal (press J). After 15 days or so remaining, you should get a pop up along the lines of ''it's time to go at bald hilltop'', so keep in mind that once the 30 days timer have set off, you get about 2 weeks before having to do anything, however, you SHOULDN'T wait for the full timer to almost expire before dealing with it, there will be numerous set of problems that will swarm your events table and bring your kingdom to ruin. It's basically a no brainer, once journal says you should get to it, then you go to it.

3. Troll trouble might trigger before the 15days mark of bald hiltop. Until bald hilltop is done, ignore the quest. Once bald hiltop is cleared, it's now your utmost priority to go kill them. Not just because of the events and the likes, but for the XP rack and the juicy loot it will give you. If you have a paladin you will sing songs of joy. Visit the watch tower at the very west of southern narmalsh to recruit a ranger (follow a dog once you arrive at the area), he will mark some point on your map. Then visit lone house, which is not far from witch hut (witch hut is always visible on map, much like sycamore. Look South West from your capital in Southern Narmalsh). You can visit other point of interest like kobold camp and troll clearing for extra xp.

Clearing out the dwarven ruins (revealed on your map by the ranger) as soon as possible will give you maximum relief time between chapter 2 and chapter 3 to complete points of interest and events at your leisure. At some point, the ''soft timer'' you talked about is mentionned in the bald hilltop curse quest part 2, which there will be an event in the throne room to say you have at least half a year before it regains power. I believe chapter 3 will begin pretty much when the timer of the quest is going near 0.

4. thats that for the main events that might give you a game over. A little tip for dealing with events (projects, problems, opportunity, rank up, building). Look out for your BP. Begin with only Longhouse, Barrack, and tavern and/or shrine. If you have balls of steel, also build a tavern, shop and smithy and a pier, but I would advise you to save those BP to claim the ressources on your land instead. At the beginning, Restov gives you 30BP per week and your weak economic will give you something like 5BP, which is split in half as taxes for Restov, so building up your capital shoudln't be your priority for I'd say the first two months. Right at the beginning you can claim Outskirts, the territory north of Shrike Hills (your beginning territory), you can claim it either as first actions once chapter 2 begins (bald hilltop won't have triggered, troll trouble neither, so it's no waste of time) but be advised that doing so skips 14 days in which you can't manage your kingdom, which is questionnable design imo.

Anyways, it's fine to claim it as a first thing. You will be able to build your first settlement in this territory. I like to build my settlements along rivers, gives you access to piers which is good for relations and later for economic trades.
    here is a quick draft on how to position your building

Herbalist House / Barracks / Brewery
    Shrine / Longhouse / Tavern
    Whatever (I built nothing here) / Smithy / shop

I did that :
    Barracks / longhouse / Shrine / Herbalist House
    Bokken alchemist Workshop / Tavern / shop / smithy

Not optimal, again, but gives you the most stat early to rank up your kingdom stats.

This is not an optimized position considering future town and city development, but it is optimized for a village. However, once you upgrade into town, you will be able to ''demolish'' a building, refunding half BP,and rebuild it for half BP, which in the end cost you nothing but only the time to rebuild them (count between 7-10 days for that), at these points there are other guides as to how to build efficiently, I only give you small tips to begin with. Villages are upgradable into town when you have 3 villages with 6 buildings each. Finishing troll troubles will give you access to claim your 3rd region and will cost hundreds of BP. You might make 20 hours of gameplay before upgrading into town so you will have time to check that out, since BP management is very delicate.

Dealing with events.

The thing to know is that there are 2 categories of things to be dealt with by advisors : projects and events. While projects don't expire, events expire at the 1st of each month, so they are more crucial to take notice of, though projects will give you more long term benefits. Projects include claiming regions, trade agreements, ranking up an advisor and the likes. Events are in 3 categories : visits in your throne room, opportunities and problems. Adressing a problem or an opportunity at the 30th of a month is no problem even though it might take 14 days to fullfill, however at the 1st of the next month it will be an automatic fail. Problems gives malus, opportunities are just wasted but do no malus.

Some projects (claiming a region or ranking up an advisor) will make you skip 14 days, and as such should always be done at the beginning of the month, or at the middle, just take notice to don't skip into the next month. After the 20 day mark of each month, there will always be a set of opportunity and problems to solve, so if you start a rank up or a claim at the 18th of a month, you might miss out. There are projects that takes 30-45-60days to complete. Save scum before, and I would advise to start them at the end of a month (30-60days event especially). At the 28th of a month if all problems are being taken care of by advisors and you have say your general available, you will finish the project sby the 28th of the other month and still be able to assign your general to a potential problem of the next month. However, 45day project are best started around the 15th of a month, to avoid missing problems for 2 months straight.

An annoying thing is that your high priest will have to do a shit load of researches into curses that take 45-60days long to do. Ignore them, you won't have time to do that. I'll accept a malus for clearing out a bald hilltop investigation, but other curses can eat my ****.

Last piece of advice : sometimes you will assign advisors for 7-10days event, and you will want to remain by your territory by the end of the month to assign them again at another event. Best exemple is right now I have assigned 3 of my advisors for problems / opportunity that takes 7 days at the 22nd of a month, and I still have a problem, an opportunity and a 30-day long project for them to be assigned to at the 29th. Between this 7 day gap, thats when I will go adventuring. Since I finished troll trouble, I'm going into candlemere lake. Silverstep village (it takes about 2 days of travel, east from your capital) is also a good xp rack and has a good loot for Regongar (or any magus MC).

Just be sure to pick web with Octavia and prepare 3 of those web spells before going into silverstep village. There is a special encounter that wrecks everyone in your party (a monster of the large category, I won't say much more). You can trigger its release by dialogue, so you can apply 3 stack of web on the floor to stick him on place and shoot arrows at him while your tank stands at the border of the web to fend off the mobs crawling to your party. An amazing thing to know is that web saves stacks., so putting 3 layers of web will require anyone to attempt 3 reflex checks before moving. This is a viable strategy for most brutal melee encounters. However be careful, those saves applies to your allies too. You can trigger the encounter by being a little bit outside of the web area you put, just be at the farthest right you can be for triggering it and calculate your web layout. There will be a will check to make because of a fear spell. Make sure your party is far away to don't be caught into the fear spell, and for the unfortunate who triggered the fight, if he is feared, pray that he crawls into one of the corner and doesn't attract attention :p should be easy if arrows/spells fly from your party towards the ennemies.

Anyways, thats how you should do things. Assign projects, adventure while they finish their projects, go back when you know they will be available again, re assign them. At the first half of a month you should try a 14 days skip project, because at the second half you won't be able to do it. There will be problems and opportunities that you cannot deal with. Usually you can see what an event will do. For example I had a problem I couldn't deal with about refugees that took off 3 points of my community because my regent was busy doing another project, however, once her project finished, it gave me 5 community for a triumph (critical success), so the game takes into account that you will miss some things out, it's no big deal. Sometimes, you will have to choose to not deal with a problem this month to be able to finish a 45 day long project. that's life. next month be extra sure to take care of problems. Balance is everything.
    Last edited by Patriarche; 02-18-2019 at 08:09 AM.

^^

Wow, that's a whole bunch of experiences and info, thank you in advance! I need to take time to digest all these. :)

However,I find it really hard to complete chapter 1 in 30 days if I want to explore the whole areas(without knowing all the resources and site in advance) and clean out the monsters. By Lvl 4 I am able to clear some of the toughest fights,wererats,viscount(between hideous laughter/cacophonous call/doom/resist enery). Unless you never go back to oleg's post for resupply and selling loots,it's nearly impossible to do it in 30 days, even I do minimal rests.

An off-topic question, small bag of holding aside,what items in Oleg's inventory is a wothy buy early on? I'd appreciate your feedback since I am struggling in carry weights and that +2 Str belt is alluring. or should I reserve the gold for better investment later?

It's not so easy to explore everything and finish chapter 1 in less than 30 days, but it's definitely doable. Knowing the map, as well as where to go, in advance of course helps. And that factors in several (needed) returns to Oleg's.

As for what to buy... the full plates (plain one, then the +1 one) are really good on Valerie, but you may want to buy only one of those. A lesser wand of extend magic can be useful too, especially for those 1 round/level spells. There's also a recipe iirc, if you've got (like me and many others) a completionist OCD. Apart from that, there's nothing really worth buying, except maybe more wands, depending on your playstyle.

Edit: The STR belt really isn't worth it imo. You'll find plenty of better belts later on.

Playing on challenging/normal enemy, I've spent too much time revealing the map(and selling all those junks,another type of OCD I guess) this run. In order to get all the companions(Harrim,Octavia) I want asap and between tough fights you should come back later; fatigue/encumbrance, it's really hard to finish everything in 30 days. Maybe next time when I've known the map better. Still, using extra time grinding more xp from random encounters is always tempting. :) Only if the time you save can be transferred to chapter 2.......

oh yes, extend magic on cacophonous call would be sweet, thanks
    Last edited by edward0409jr@gmail.com; 02-19-2019 at 02:05 AM.

best purchase at chapter one is bag of holding, full plate +1 is still relevant later on so it's a good purchase early on, (EDIT : though you will find a full plate for free in sycamore dungeon. it's up to your if you want to invest 2K in a +1 enhancement, I'd say it's worth considering the long run it depends on what you want to buy) . I wouldn't advise you to buy any belt/headband in chapter one, you will find a lot in chapter 2. If you need a belt of STR early chapter 1, west of Oleg's trading there is a spot '' OLD OAK '' where a man eater troll dwell alone and drops such a belt for free. A single hideous laughter will be enough to kill him. don't confuse it with ''Oak that strayed'', that spot is further west and has a dryad which launches a nasty AOE on the floor that hurts a lot when walking, though she's doable especially if you were able to get past the +1 keen kukri invisible wererat. (EDIT : all in all, you will get 100K in chapter 2 fairly easily if you picked up a lot ''treasure'' ranked loot. It's the dryad token and the dogtag thing you find everywhere. There is a NPC in your throne room that will give you like 20-40K right when you begin chapter 2 if you hurl everything at his face at once, so money in chapter 1 is to be spent in chapter 1. Right now at every one of my return to the capital he's giving me at least 10-15K, that's aside all the ''regular'' loot I find. Best thing is that this kinda loot weighs nothing, so it's easy to dump heavy loot that sells at a moderate price. Keep in mind I don't return a lot in my capital, so it might not be 10-15K for you too. last thing in this EDIT about belt of STR and the likes, I strongly advise to don't spend a single penny on that kind of purchase. While you will clear troll trouble (so if you ''rush it'', it's under 15hours of gameplay), there is a mob which drops a belt of physical might. Which is +4 STR +4 CON. There's even a belt of physical perfection, +2 STR +2 CON +2 DEX that I don't even know where I found, so buying belts are ripoff in general, buy rods or wands)

My personal favorite is the lesser empower rod but 9000gold can be a very tough purchase to make in chapter one, especially if you bought custom companions. However depending on your class it might be a solid purchase to consider. Even if your MC does not benefit from it, assuming you have Regongar in your party, an empowered shock grasp can be devastating, especially if you made him pick evocation school focus then favorite spell : shocking grasp. Early on it allows you to one shot a lot of tough encounters, and considering the lesser empower rod has 3 charges per day, it's pure bliss. My MC is actively seeking an empower/greater empower rod, running around with 100K in his pocket ready to blow all his money on that fateful merchant.

It's true that it's hard to finish chapter 1 in 30 days without foreknowledge, the key is to know which locations you need to do in order to complete chapter 1 main quest. first thing you should do is go to Nettle Crossing, even though heading to the ancient tomb is telegraphed in the game. Talking to the undead will prevent you from having the nightmares events when you rest. After that, head to ancient tomb, it won't change the cutscene. then directly head west. ''random'' technic league encounters trigger, go south. If you're good aligned, go directly to thorn ford so you can choose the good aligned choice to spare Kresstle, if not go a little further south to pick up Regongar and Octavia before doing thorn ford. Once you free Jhod, the lonely house will appear on your map north west from where you are (and not before so it can screw your timeline), do elk temple (south, near where you picked up oc/regongar) once its revealed, do sycamore, head back home at Oleg's (which is the only one time I went back to Oleg's in chapter 1, which is maybe why you can't do it in 30 days if you visit him several times) to pick up tuskgutter lair quest..

Of course there are several other point of interest you can do in the map before confronting stag lord, but doing stag lord now won't end chapter 1 anyways. you have to talk to Oleg's and manually select the dialogue to go to Restov for that, so once you have done Stag lord you can see how much time you have left. From Oleg's you can choose to go west to do the Old Oak, Oak that strayed than tuskgutter lair encounter before Stag Lord. Once you finished Stag Lord, head east to do the miscellaneous other point of interest that I didn't even bother to do because in chapter 2 you will have to do several back and forth between Oleg's trading post and your future capital (which is the stag lord fort), so why bother doing it early in chapter 1.

The ''secret'' is carrying around 20 rations, which is why bag of holding and regongar are important to carry around (Regongar is basically two bag of holding). Never carry any armor for sale below half-plate in your inventory (there's only that one time in sycamore dungeon where you're gonna find 2 half plate and a full plate anyways, which is why I advised going back to Oleg's after sycamore dungeon), never carry any non-masterwork weapon in your inventory, and don't carry too much potions around. Depending if your MC is STR focused or not (my MC is basically a human Regongar so I had 18 STR), you might hold a bit more in your inventory (which came in handy for the extra cash to buy my lesser empower rod), but you don't need to be that thorough I guess. If you do what I said in chapter 2, you will get a lot of free time to adventure around. I got a custom companions with about 20 in lore nature (invested in a ring that gives a bit of lore nature boost, headchomper which is unfortunately a backer reward, and he has 20 WIS as a ranger with a +2 WIS headband. you find one in sycamore dungeon and several others that I don't remember specifically) and with that much nature lore you always find 6 rations without time lapses.

just for curiosity, what is your MC? race, class
    Last edited by Patriarche; 02-19-2019 at 05:09 AM.