Thread: Camp dc

Camp dc

every where in the game (unlocking, atheltic, mobility,..), even in dialog, you can see the DC value before doing it

but NOT while camping
    you don"t know the DC before hunting or hiding
    my companions SHOULD know if it"s easy to hide, or if they are lot of animals and vegetables around
    so they should know the DC, if it"s worth hunting or hiding before doing it, or if they should rather do something else

il you are camping in an area and not on the strategic map you will see the DC value after the test in the event box
    if you are on the strategic MAP, DC is unavailable, even after the tests are made

why not show the DC for each camping action, BEFORE doing it, as you can see the DC for cooking

Well, actually we had the same talk in the studio and we decided that your companions couldn't really know this.

From the perspective of tabletop RPGs, our DMs never give the player the difficulty of similar checks, you just roll the die and see if you passed. By Paizo rules, you're not even supposed to know whether you rolled high or low with some of the checks (stealth, for example) - your DM rolls that for you in secret.

You can get a general description by asking questions, of course: is the wall you're trying to climb smooth or does it have comfortable handholds, how high is it, etc. However, you definitely shouldn't be able to ask the DM to tell you things your character doesn't know or cannot see for themselves. "How many animals live in this forest?" and "Will anyone attack us if we try to rest here?" sound to us like that kind of question.

Even an experienced hunter wouldn't be able to tell you at a glance whether there's game in a particular forest. They'd need to actually venture inside and look for tracks, burrows and other signs of life, which is already a test of their skill, and thus counts as part of the check. You could divide the check in two, of course (first, you spend an hour trying to find out whether any animals live here, and then you decide whether you want to hunt or not), but that would needlessly complicate things.

Same logic applies to camouflaging your camp. At the same time, this wouldn't make sense with cooking: by looking at the recipe, you can generally tell just how much harder it is to make Beef Wellington than to boil eggs.

The narrative team really didn't want to show such out-of-character info in dialogs too (this ruins immersion, in my opinion), but we had to overrule this. It made dialogs and book events too hard mechanically - after all, you can't ask the video game these general questions (how high is the wall, how angry does the mob you want to appease look, etc.).
    Last edited by k0tarsis; 02-21-2019 at 11:05 PM.

thanks for the explanation

it's nice to show us there is a concept and not a simple miss in the user interface

but i don't totally agree with you
    if the dialog's DC open the path why not following it to the end...

if can climb on rocks, it's not that easy to know the DC before doing it. even if you have an advice between ladder and death mountain you can have some heavy surprise while doing it, i remember what seems an easy vertical crap ending 80 m higher in a back roof top we never made across...
    (yes the DC check will mean that sort of things)

in the stolen lands where are not traveling at full speed in a closed car
    we are WALKING, and while doing this we have plenty of time to look around, ear, smell,... and the trail is amid the things we want to know

in many times there is even no path. this only explain why we can miss crossroad on the strategic map. we have to follow animals trails or our instinct to make our way. so we are really in the middle of the things we want to see

when i walk in forest or mountain i can see what sort of tree or mushrooms are around the pah, if rabbits are flying out of the path, or a dir behind the brushes. i can ear birds...

i do not a full survey purpose to check each living thing living in the area. this sort of job is lenthgy you are right
    i only need to find ANYTHING that could be eatable, this is far more simple

and we can speak too, some maps are full of peoples, peasants, hunters, wood cutters... i assume there are also on the trails and you can have local intel from them

and last point you can collect food while on march, before the camp. you can collect vegetables around the path and have your bow ready just in case...

and some companions are seasoned outsider, not fresh out the city. did i need to mention ekun and his hunting dog...

so at the end of the day, my companion WILL know if they have a good chance to collect something or if it is a waste of energy
    (if fact they probably

about camouflage you can bet it is easier if you are in brush than in a barren flat land. So it is even easier to know if it is worth trying it

but all in one it is only a little disconfort even if it's a little strange from my view
    it's not as important than the 14 day trap and the suspendable tasks in the kingdom management...

Quote Originally Posted by phocasbyz View Post
    but all in one it is only a little disconfort even if it's a little strange from my view
    it's not as important than the 14 day trap and the suspendable tasks in the kingdom management...
    it is not the topic of this thread, but I do agree that the 14 day obligatory skip is a big headache.

it would be better if we could pause during the 14day skip to at least only be able to assign an advisor to a task. If there were 5 remaining days for Jubilost to complete a problem, and he could begin the 14 day of opportunity before I finish my 14day skip, it could allow some more events to be completed during the month.

I know that a 14 day skip is not you sitting on the throne contemplating the roof while drooling. Whether it's a region claiming or an advisors rank-up, your MC is busy around his territory. I just think that if I'm at Sorrowflow for example and I can assign advisors to do tasks while I'm so far, I could do the same during a 14 day skip project, since the MC is still in his territory.

You are actually told the DC for being spotted: the stealth number you get is the DC for enemies needing to spot you.

Also fun exploit: Cast vanish or invsibility on whoever is doing the stealth, and get a +20 bonus to that. You'll pretty much never be caught.

thanks for the hints about invisibility

yes if you camp in a tactical map you can see the DC tests after in the right corner events box

but it will be more usefull if it was while managing camp, before doing it...

Quote Originally Posted by Naliamegod View Post
    Also fun exploit: Cast vanish or invsibility on whoever is doing the stealth, and get a +20 bonus to that. You'll pretty much never be caught.
    with my custom dex-based fighter/rogue who is a beast with stealth, wearing a cloack of camouflage (+10 stealth) on top of that, I'm pretty near the +30 stealth anyways xD

Quote Originally Posted by phocasbyz View Post
    thanks for the hints about invisibility

yes if you camp in a tactical map you can see the DC tests after in the right corner events box

but it will be more usefull if it was while managing camp, before doing it...
    You can see the stealth DC in camp management: its the stealth number whoever you assign to do it.

i don't undestand WHERE you say the DC is told
    here is what i can see,

i can't figure out where the DC number is hidding in the management screen

only after in the event box after camping

Last edited by phocasbyz; 03-03-2019 at 08:09 PM. Reason: image link

Oooh!

Yeah, I got confused there, I thought you were talking about the DC for people finding you not the DC of passing it. I never actually failed a stealth check so I didn't even think there was a DC to d oit.