Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

First impressions over DLC 2

I´m nowhere near completing it. Just wanted to talk about it :)

Pro

The voice acting/writing is on the spot and gives the feel of a merry band of adventurers, years together on the road.
    More story content only five months after release is great.
    I´m liking both playing as advisor for a change and finding out how Varnhold ended up as Soul-Cola.

Con

While is understandable, given they´ll lose in the end, the DLC companions are really weak. Far worse than main game companions, and light years away from a optimized lv6 PC party. Half the time i wonder if i will endure them, reload and make generic companions or reduce difficulty.
    The lack of an image for the dwarf quartermaster felt weird. And a few lines to give personality to the 3 companions (other than Varn and the mage) would have been great.

I plan to go with a fighter 2hander, would that be viable with the Varn party?

Yes. I´m using it. And is needed, as there is no heavy men-at-arms among the companions.

Bit surprised I guess.. ..was kind of expecting to get start at level 1 and grind up from there. So it was bit of surprise to get so many levels so "getting to know" your party members can take a bit of time (because you can not build them from level 1 up, and slowly learn they skills and try different things while slowly getting "tutorial" part / first levels up against bit less experienced enemies). But then I guess at this late after release most people do try to play maingame first (atleast a bit) so tutorial part will be done or they will soon learn that this game really can use pause options :)
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

I forgot to buy rations before heading out :P

maegar varn is a two-weapon dex based rogue
    His mage is a summon focused wizard.
    You have to take them with you (at least for now)... so it's them, plus the MC + 3 NPCs (or Merc's)

I went with making mercs.
    Not knowing Maegar Varn was a rogue.... I made a rogue.
    You also get 25,000 gp to get gear for everyone, which is enough to get some weapons, armor, and some consumables (and teach the Wizard Haste).

So far I think it's interesting... possibly an early look at what a random dungeon generator would be like.

is there a cleric NPC or do I have to make a merc?

I ended up making a tank Paladin, but once we made it to the City of Hollow Eyes we got TPK'd by the group of 3 monsters down towards the bottom, and that was after everyone getting to level 6. Most of the party can't even hit the monsters.

One of the npc is a Cleric (Herald archetype).

I already finished the "new game" portion of the DLC lol. It took me roughly about 6 hours. I don't think I finished all available quest so I intend to go back to it again sometime - not going to import this one to the main game.

It was quite different to what I expected.. I was hoping it will show what happens once Maegar Varn and his subjects are abducted by V but that wasn't the case.

You start off the Varnhold's Lot as level 5, as one of Maegar Varn's companion. The DLC begins with the ceremony where you (in the main game) and Maegar are both given the title of Baron/ess.

In this DLC, you can't freely roam the world map, the game navigates your party.

I rolled Inquisitor as my main and got following companions:

Rogue (Maegar), wizard (Cephal Lorentus), Scaled Fist (Monk), Herald Caller (Priest), Freebooter (Ranger). I didn't like any of the companions. 3 mercs have no personality/dialogues and comes with strange mix of classes/stats. Maegar's voice didn't really fit the image I had of him and I was shocked he's a rogue. I liked the evil mage the best - his voice acting was decent and his querrel with Maegar was interesting.

If you play human female, there is a small romance plot with Maegar.

I enjoyed the "new game" portion of the DLC but also feel a bit disappointed at the same time. It was very combat heavy, especially the last dungeon. I recommend you create 3 new characters rather than taking premade mercs - it can get very frustrating later on because:

Spoiler:

Anyone imported the DLC to the main game yet?

Quote Originally Posted by purpleblob View Post
    I enjoyed the "new game" portion of the DLC but also feel a bit disappointed at the same time. It was very combat heavy, especially the last dungeon. I recommend you create 3 new characters rather than taking premade mercs - it can get very frustrating later on because:
    yea, I heard that the NPCs had no voiceover and when I saw that ''bruiser'' was a halfling, I just ditched the idea and rolled 2 crusaders for flavors with a ranger. MC is a 2hander and both my crusaders have 30+AC when fully buffed. Maegar is a bit underwhelming though, I threw a crossbow at him since my 2hander does 20-40damage with cleave mechanics so he can solo-wipe every encounter so far.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast