Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandPoobah View Post
    There's a reddit thread that had the solution to the crystal puzzle. It worked for me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder_...m_the_new_dlc/
    Can someone post the picture or text here? I am in China, and reddit is currently blocked due to the NPC meeting

Overall I liked the story, especially the switch at the end, and didn't mind the linearity for a short side story. I absolutely hated the last dungeon, though. It gave me way more trouble than the house at the edge of time in the unpatched version of the game, did, since at least I was high level there and had tons of options. By the end of it I was skipping rooms because I just wanted it over with. They snatch not one, but 2 NPCs from your party and never give them back, leaving me with just the priest for a caster. I was playing on challenging and came very close to dropping the difficulty after a ton of reloads on a couple of the fights, but managed to get through them with a combination of cheese and luck. I was having to rest after nearly every other fight, since each one was burning up most of my good spells and required a ton of healing. I also felt like I never was able to gear up the party properly. Trying to do the dweomer cat fight and the final fight at the end just made keep saying "I'm not having fun anymore, this needs to be over." The idea of the dungeon and the portals and puzzles were fine, but the difficulty spike and snatching necessary companions was kind of a crappy thing to do. I could have lived without Maegar, but snatching Cephal was just nasty. I'm sure it would have been easier if I had a mage, but didn't make my own because the game gave me one, then took him away right at the hardest part where I needed him most.

Quote Originally Posted by DrHappyAngry View Post
    They snatch not one, but 2 NPCs from your party and never give them back,
    who is the second one to be snatched? is there no mean to prevent that?

Quote Originally Posted by Patriarche View Post
    who is the second one to be snatched? is there no mean to prevent that?
    Cephal. No way that I found, but it's totally possible I missed something.

I played on normal difficulty and found the last dungeon quite difficult the first time around when two NPCs left. But knowing all this, I was better prepared for the second run and found the challenge very enjoyable. I thought items I found in said dungeon very useful. I finished my second run with Paladin, Crusader, Empyreal Sorceress and Arcane Trickster.

That's kind of the point, if you know it's coming and built a party where you weren't expecting to use Maegar and Cephal for the final run, you'd be fine. But, there's no indication this will happen. I had the default party with a flame warden for my main, which worked fine until they started stealing people from the group. At least the house at the edge of time, you could pick up your companions pretty easy and even if some died, you still had enough for a full party with enough options to react to the enemies you're fighting, ie needing freedom of movement. This was fine generally since you had plenty of fall back options to replace people, although I'm still kind of annoyed about Linzi. Now they yank away both your rogue and mage, with no way to get replacements, and you're expected to finish with just a 4 person party. I was just lucky I had put a couple levels of knife master on the freebooter, but was SOL on the magic side. Maybe if they gave you an arcane trickster in the default party things would have gone a lot better for me, or hell even a bard would have been better. The only way you could react is to reload way in the past back so you could hire more recruits. I also felt super rushed in the dungeon and was avoiding encounters so I wouldn't run out of rations, having to rest after nearly every other fight. I even started the dungeon with over 30 rations, and found a bunch in the dungeon, but was getting towards the end of them when I got near the end, so just walked right by a few rooms when I saw enemies in them (or those nobles that turn into enemies).

Even the updated version of the house at the edge of time gave you some additional NPCs that could be recruited. I don't get why they'd just repeat the same mistake, but make it even worse than last time.

Hmm, on normal it wasn't THAT bad and I still think HATEOT was a lot worse but we can simply agree to disagree. I actually thought it was good fun and since the new game portion of the DLC is only 6-7hours long, it was pretty good for replay with better suited party members.

It might also be that my first time at the house of the edge of time was on normal, and I played Varnhold on challenging. But, I still feel like varnhold sticks you in the situation without options, whereas house at the edge of time, you had tons of options and things you could try, even if it was hard, especially in the early bugged versions of the game. You could at least change out party members and memorize different spells. With only a level 8 priest in my group, the amount of things I could change and try was pretty limited.

As I said, we can agree to disagree :) I personally thought there were enough loots found inside the dungeon that help you finish the DLC even with 4 party members. I got an item that gives legendary proportions that made things so much easier :D Also, there were so many rations found inside the dungeon, I had plenty left by the time I finished. But then again, I only played on normal.

I'm not trying to argue with you specifically, purpleblob, just hoping somebody at owlcat actually reads why I thought the last dungeon wasn't fun. I just don't like feeling like all my options were just taken away, and the only thing to do is start over, reload hours in the past, or slog forward and save scum until every single roll goes perfectly. The last fight in varnhold took me more reloads than the lantern king on my first run. The dweomer cat fight was about as bad, too. When the lantern king kicked my butt, I at least could say "OK, what am I doing wrong and what spells can I change out to try?" Being only 8th level, with the herald caller as my only caster, and just 4 party members, there wasn't much else I could try. When I inspected the Marquess, it said he was vulnerable to magic missile, It's like the game is rubbing in the fact it just took away the only party member that could cast it.

Like I said, I enjoyed the game up to that point, and really liked the story, and thought the twist about what the dungeon really was, was cool. Hopefully they take some of what I've said to heart, and put in some tweaks like they did at the house at the edge of time, like a way to swap out a party member for a merc or something. Or just don't take the mage away.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast