Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jsaving View Post
    What I'd most like to see is an actual city, like Baldur's Gate or Athkatla, rather than a (nearly) quest-free capital.
    That's why I was rooting for Curse of the Crimson Throne.

There are rumours of city tilesets bring worked on though, so I live in hope.

Curse of the Crimson throne, Tyrants Grasp, Or Hell's Rebels would be great. Though I'm kinda hoping for their take on Skulls and Shackles.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonRavenant View Post
    Curse of the Crimson throne, Tyrants Grasp, Or Hell's Rebels would be great. Though I'm kinda hoping for their take on Skulls and Shackles.
    I can tell you that it definity isn't Tyrant's Grasp. Work on the game started before that came out and I was told at the time that it was an AP that was already released.

Hrm, it's quite difficult to add new arguments about the AP for the next game when someone like Stratagemini already spent so many thoughts on it. :D

Anyway, I will try and go through the 6 (?) sortlisted APs: Rise of Runelords lacks a big special system and its plot is somewhat patchy. Curse of the Crimson Throne also lacks the big special system, unless they want to expand on the Harrow system a lot. Skull and Shackles' theme might irritate some of the Kingmaker player crowd. Ironfang Invasion is good, but its name pales in comparison to other APs. Hell's Rebels is more popular, but the actual sale numbers show a different picture: Paizo still has physical copies of all 6 books, for some reason. Wrath of the Righteous got mixed reviews on mythic rules, to the point that Paizo (pretty much) pursuing this path - but the balance problems are less of an issue at a singleplayer computer game, and video gamers are more used to feeling empowered than to being challenged.

So, in the end none of them is perfect. If I had to guess, I would have to flip a coin (respective roll a d2) between Curse of the Crimson Throne and Wrath of the Righteous.
    Last edited by BurningSheep; 11-03-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningSheep View Post
    Hrm, it's quite difficult to add new arguments about the AP for the next game when someone like Stratagemini already spent so many thoughts on it. :D

Anyway, I will try and go through the 6 (?) sortlisted APs: Rise of Runelords lacks a big special system and its plot is somewhat patchy. Curse of the Crimson Throne also lacks the big special system, unless they want to expand on the Harrow system a lot. Skull and Shackles' theme might irritate some of the Kingmaker player crowd. Ironfang Invasion is good, but its name pales in comparison to other APs. Hell's Rebels is more popular, but the actual sale numbers show a different picture: Paizo still has physical copies of all 6 books, for some reason. Wrath of the Righteous got mixed reviews on mythic rules, to the point that Paizo (pretty much) pursuing this path - but the balance problems are less of an issue at a singleplayer computer game, and video gamers are more used to feeling empowered than to being challenged.

So, in the end none of them is perfect. If I had to guess, I would have to flip a coin (respective roll a d2) between Curse of the Crimson Throne and Wrath of the Righteous.
    What? Me? Think a lot about what game's next? Never.

I can say that I don't think It's Skull and Shackles anymore. There's no way that any group online could ever refrain from Pirate jokes for over a year while working on Skull and Shackles. And they didn't do anything for talk like a pirate day.

An announcement is coming by the end of the year according to the Anniversary Dev Stream. So I'm hoping for something this month for some pre-holiday buzz.

I don't personally understand the devs' insistence that PK2 have a special system, but they've made statements to that effect even after their in-house PK2 tabletop campaign began. That suggests the APs without such a system aren't going to make the cut, even though some of them are quite fun to play. Wrath of the Righteous and Skull and Shackles probably best check those boxes. Rule out SaS because of the Deadfire debacle and we're left with WotR, which would probably have the broadest CRPG appeal even though you can make a solid argument for Hell's Rebels being the better AP.

Quote Originally Posted by jsaving View Post
    I don't personally understand the devs' insistence that PK2 have a special system, but they've made statements to that effect even after their in-house PK2 tabletop campaign began. That suggests the APs without such a system aren't going to make the cut, even though some of them are quite fun to play. Wrath of the Righteous and Skull and Shackles probably best check those boxes. Rule out SaS because of the Deadfire debacle and we're left with WotR, which would probably have the broadest CRPG appeal even though you can make a solid argument for Hell's Rebels being the better AP.
    Hell's Rebels has the rebellion management system. So even given those criteria it's not out of the running. But yes. My money is on Wrath of the Righteous.

My impression is that computer games usually put you into a way more powerful position than pen & paper. Computer games let you live power fantasies (commander, mayor, emperor, monster, divine scion, battlefield whirlwind etc.) and you are the person that matters most. Pen & paper makes you work hard for your bare survival (at least at low levels and given a GM with traditional mindset) and you have to share the glory with your fellow players. No judgment intended, just stating impressions.

So, if you want an AP to appeal to computer gamers, the one with the highest power level has an edge: Wrath of the Righteous.

Of course there are more arguments, but I would count the power level as a major one.

Many enjoy allso "sims" things in these games. Build your own place to live for (may it be city, tavern, castle, tower or even cave), decorate it and use even hours to make little changes. So having central place to be, town or city to protect or so seem like an good idea. (Or your own ship, caravan or so...)
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Fingers crossed for Crimson Throne, Iron Gods, or Carrion Crown.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast