Please Devs Stop with the Keen Falchions!

My favourite build is 2H Fighter specialized in Falchions. A very common build, as its simple, effective and donīt cost an extra feat for exotic weaponry.

Almost anyone following this build will pick improved critical at lv8 and have no use for keen falchions (i never saw one appear before lv8).

And those who use this build are probably the majority of the Falchion users, as its a weapon that donīt get as much love as a greatsword or great axe, even by those who like big melee weapons.

So in a game with no crafting, making every Falchion with a special ability a keen one (beastrender, a mid-game weapon, being the only exception) is very frustrating. Almost seem like some dev has something against this build (and those who use it).

While modding lessen this pain, i donīt want to have to use a mod to fix the issue.

So, iīm asking. In the following DLCs, please treat the falchion as the other weapons and give it the full range of possibilities in special abilities.

Werenīt for the modders iīd have uninstalled the game the next time i was forced to keep a sub-par main weapon because the falchion i got was keen again.

Oof!

I've sent this to our game designers - let's see what they think. Might be that you've been exceptionally unlucky and missed the loot that you need... which is still food for thought and a reason to think about loot distribution in the game.

By the way, could you share some of your sacred knowledge with me - as in, how do you even decide which melee weapon to choose for weapon focus and similar feats? I'm always very hesitant to pick these feats exactly because I don't know, and cannot know, which weapons I'll find in my playthrough. It's much easier for ranged guys since there's less weapon variety there. Is foregoing those feats a subpar way to level up your frontliners? If so, how do you know which weapons to pick?

EDIT: Then again, returning to the main point of your question - the "Keen" quality is very useful on a falchion since it already has an increased threat range. I'd venture to guess the game designer's reasoning to put more Keen falchions in was to make them a viable option for the greatest amount of builds, which would definitely include builds without Improved Critical. In a RPG system with so many possible feat and equipment combinations, it's hard to please everyone.
    Last edited by k0tarsis; 03-13-2019 at 09:59 AM.

I have no way to know what iīll find in my next playthrough too (except for memory, given i think there is no random loot in the game and i finished the game visiting all the nods). I recommend great axes, by the way, as there is one absurdly strong as loot (wonīt say where to avoid spoilers).
    But i play d20 since D&D 3.0/Neverwinter Nights came out and iīm used to build my characters from level 1 choosing the feats i believe more efficient by endgame, because both in TT and NWN cRPG there were the possibility to craft gear to match such choices.
    I know there is no such option in Kingmaker, and although i think it should, i doubt itīll ever be added (outside mods). And i also know there are other players that wonīt pick improved critical.
    Thatīs why iīm asking for more variety regarding Falchions (both loot and for sale). Not an specific weapon to suit my personal needs. Just a fair chance in the "loot betting" part of the game.
    Last edited by Steppenwolf; 03-13-2019 at 11:07 AM.

At least one of the game desingers agreed and said he's been complaining about the falchions as well. We might give the item system another pass in one of the upcoming releases.

As for my question, exactly! I still don't know how these feats work in cRPGs, since so few of them actually have crafting. Using meta-knowledge to decide which weapon to focus on, like reading a walkthrough, asking on the forums, etc. feels like a very subpar solution. This might be the main reason I stick to casters as my main character. Or an occasional wild shape druid, if I really want to get up close and personal :)

Thanks for the quick answer.
    And iīm glad one of the game designers agreed :)
    Iīll be anxiously awaiting the upcoming releases (even more than i already was).

Sure thing! :D

By the way, not sure if you've seen this: there'll be a game designer (Leonid Tolochenko, InanKy) on stream this Thursday, at 18.30 CET. I've no idea whether he had a lot to do with loot, but you could still ask. You can also ask in this thread and watch the recording of the stream at a later date.

Thanks for the info.

Iīll be working during the stream, but iīll check the thread and the later recording.

InanKy Did a lot of class and feat stuff Including some Kineticist Implementation I think? Thainen did some loot work though! but as a writer.