Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Can You Succeed as Evil?

Can you play the game through with an evil character, usually making evil choices, and still succeed?

Yes.
    the lawful evil capitol decorations are also nice. So it's worth it.

Yes, you can.

I always play lawful evil characters in every RPG game, and i have to say this game has by far the best choices and consequences for that alignment.

Plus, as evelynstarshine said, the lawful evil capitol decorations are great.

Chaotic Evil barons also get a ton of loot and XP because there are many, many opportunities to kill people on a whim in this game. Also, a lot of the evil choices you can make while ruling the kingdom, during rank-up events and such are much more lucrative than the good choices.

All in all, we strived to keep a balance and not to reward or punish a player for their preferred alignment, but it's a tough task. Also, it only feels natural that an evil character would get more rich. Finally, what played into the quests I wrote myself was this idea that Chris Avellone shared with us pretty early on: being Good is usually hard. If you want a person not to default to Good choices, to really think whether or not they want to be good, make it costly. Make it a sacrifice. It also helps to make good characters and options feel like they're not "the norm", less bland.

Does being evil increase the chances that your Advisers quit?

There's no antipaladin in the game, huh?
    Last edited by Windaar; 04-09-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windaar View Post
    No, what causes an advisor to quit is how you act on their major proposals: generally they will have one thing they like, one they are ok with, and one they hate. If you do a few ones they hate, they will quit. A lot of their advisor stuff is more based on practical issues than alignment related.

Quote Originally Posted by Naliamegod View Post
    No, what causes an advisor to quit is how you act on their major proposals: generally they will have one thing they like, one they are ok with, and one they hate. If you do a few ones they hate, they will quit. A lot of their advisor stuff is more based on practical issues than alignment related.
    Thank you!!

Thanks, everyone! And, I have to say, that bit about what it takes to be good I feel is spot on and I definitely feel it in the game. Well done, and thanks again!

Yep, that is correct. They have a "satisfaction" counter built into them. If you keep disappointing them or making their job too hard and boring, they'll quit. There are generally 3 attitudes they can take towards a decision you make: they like it, they're neutral about it, and they dislike it. If you want to throw them a favor, you should act in the way that they advised you. If you tell them "just take care of it yourself", it has the same effect.

The decisions they would prefer you to make depend largely on alignment though. Personal preferences can also factor into that, but to a lesser degree. Also, there are unique, personal ways to resolve some events for some of the advisors.

For example, Octavia cares a lot about the safety of the people - if you don't rush to save victims of a magical experiment gone wrong, she'll be appalled. However, if, as a result of said experiment, you decide to ban all arcane experiments in the capital, she will be very upset too - she cannot bear the thought of taking away someone's freedoms and rights.

At the same time, if you order Regongar to take better care of the citizens and reign in his thugs that he calls "royal guard", he'll get really annoyed and start thinking whether this position is even worth the hassle. If you then let him go bash some skulls in or somehow abuse his power for personal gains, he'll quickly remember why he signed up in the first place.

For every advisor slot, there are 3 characters in the game that could take the post: one good, one neutral, one evil. The advisor will most often want you to pick the correspoding solution: good, neutral or evil.
    Finally, it's good to remember that a character's alignment as an advisor can actually differ from their usual alignment: as we all know, power corrupts... while a new-found sense of responsibility can straighten someone out.
    Last edited by k0tarsis; 04-12-2019 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by k0tarsis View Post
    For every advisor slot, there are 3 characters in the game that could take the post: one good, one neutral, one evil. The advisor will most often want you to pick the correspoding solution: good, neutral or evil.
    However, some npcs cover several roles, which in practice means if you take NPC-X for advisor role Y, you might not have an evil advisor to cover role Z, because you've already assigned him to Y. I've found it's easy to lock yourself out of certain advisors when you play for the first time and have no metagaming knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast