View Poll Results: Have you ever played pen-and-paper Pathfinder?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never.

8 17.78%
  • Yes, once or twice in my life.

4 8.89%
  • I play regularly.

13 28.89%
  • I'm a DM.

20 44.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you play pen-and-paper Pathfinder? Do you DM?

Hello there, everyone!

In many posts and on every stream, I notice that a lot of you have actually not only played tabletop Pathfinder, but even mastered numerous campaigns. On some level, that is to be expected - after all, making a video game that closely mimics the PnP version was our goal. At the same time, cRPGs are a beautiful, precious thing on their own, and I bet that a lot of our players love them without any connection to the tabletop experience. Let's see how big is the overlap between PnP and Pathfinder: Kingmaker, shall we?

Quote Originally Posted by k0tarsis View Post
    Hello there, everyone!

In many posts and on every stream, I notice that a lot of you have actually not only played tabletop Pathfinder, but even mastered numerous campaigns. On some level, that is to be expected - after all, making a video game that closely mimics the PnP version was our goal. At the same time, cRPGs are a beautiful, precious thing on their own, and I bet that a lot of our players love them without any connection to the tabletop experience. Let's see how big is the overlap between PnP and Pathfinder: Kingmaker, shall we?
    We Shall.

As far as Pathfinder goes? I have GMed Rise of the Runelords, Hell's Rebels, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Wrath of the Righteous, and Council of Thieves.

I have played in Pathfinder Society, Carrion Crown, Legacy of Fire, Serpent's Skull, Iron Gods, and three games in homebrew settings (the longest of which lasted from the end of 3.5 into Pathfinder Beta, into Pathfinder standard, and then 2 years beyond.

Beyond that my experience in other system adds up to a post that's WAAAAY too long.

As expected of Stratagemini who has extended knowledge over the pathfinder contents.

as for me, I played a lot of D&D and unfortunately, only 2 campaigns of pathfinder.

my first one was homebrew and I was 14. I played a beguiler for almost a year, played every week most of the time.

second one was a campaign which I do not remember the name, I only remember it was a heavy-goblin setting, and we went as far as a glass factory in which we chased a culprit down the basement. We played a couple session and the other party members didn't wish to keep playing se we had no choice but to stop...

besides that I've played several years of D&D and designed a 5th edition campaign but never got to start my campaign.

my knowledge of pathfinder and golarion setting is minimal, so it was a real pleasure to discover it through owlcat's crpg game :p I really like how the first world and the feys work, so the DLC was a delight to play lorewise.

Senior Member The Infinity Sock's Avatar
    I have never played pen-and-paper pathfinder or dungeons and dragons but i do like the depth there have put into them even better when there make them into crpg games my favourite crpg game is neverwinter nights one and two a pity no one is willing to make a neverwinter nights three :(

I started in a "transitional" campaign called Savage Tide. It lasted 2 years and it was from Level 1 to Level 20. It started as a D&D 3.5 campaign then got transformed into Pathfinder. Over the years we've played Pathfinder campaigns like Council of Thieves, Jade Regent, Kingmaker and Hell's Rebels. We like to play other tabletop RPGs between our Pathfinder campaigns such as Star Wars, Fantasy AGE, Call of Cthulhu and Realms of Terrinoth (Genesys). We just started a campaign for Adventures in Middle Earth (D&D 5e) and our next Pathfinder campaign will most likely be Hell's Vengeance.

All of that was just with my current group. With my old group we played AD&D, Star Frontiers, Vampire: the Masquerade, Mechwarrior, the older version of Star Wars, Pendragon, Advanced Recon, Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Battlelords of the 23rd Century, Warhammer Fantasy, Mage: the Ascension, Robotech, Land of the Rising Sun, Wraith: the Oblivion, earlier versions of Call of Cthulhu, Autoduel (aka Car Wars), Aliens, Marvel Super Heroes, DC Heroes, Castle Falkenstein, GURPS and Shadowrun.
    Last edited by Triordinant; 04-13-2019 at 06:36 AM.

I start with Miekka & Magia (released in 1987), after that we get translated version for D&D (so colled red box version: https://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/2013/06/30-years-of-red-box-d.html )

My longest still going Pathfinder game is set in Birthright setting (start with AD&D 2:nd edition, then changed for 3.5 and now Pathfinder) so it have been going on for over 20 year.

When we get Neverwinter Nights at 2002 I was first a player then GM and end up being head GM in largest Finnish community (Sanctuary) after 2006 when NWN2 was released we were created kind of huge PW with lore and plenty of other stuff. So I later did some GM stuff using that world and Pathfinder ruleset.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Never played PnP. I got exposed to D&D through Baldur's Gate II and like-wise I only found about Pathfinder universe through Kingmaker.

Like @The Infinity Sock, my favourite games are based on D&D and Pathfinder (Baldur's Gate II, Neverwinter Nights and Kingmaker).
    Last edited by purpleblob; 04-13-2019 at 10:31 AM.

I too have extensive pnp experience with D&D but have played Pathfinder only through play-by-email a couple of times.

I am one of those who does NOT want computer versions of pnp games to necessarily mimic the pnp game in every possible way. Pnp gaming is often limited by that medium and transitioning to the computer medium should be about making the gaming experience better and improved when and where possible.

I've played the PnP for a while, and participated in many of the "Living" campaigns for D&D and Pathfinder. I've GM'd and played multiple Adventure Paths.

I find the computer games fun. They do a great job of mimicking the PnP experience, while still being their own unique PC game. If there were a way to optionally turn on / turn off a more PnP feel, that would probably be good - but I for one (and maybe not alone) am happy with where Kingmaker and Owlcat decided to center the experience. Yeah, there are a few things I'd do differently (for me), but if I had to choose between "make it different" and "keep it as is" I'd choose to keep it as is. Of course, always looking for more classes/feats/spells/monsters and most importantly - new Adventure options!

Oh wow, there are people with an insane amount of PnP experience in here! And it seems that almost everyone here has played at least a little bit. I can tell that there are fans of GURPS, DnD, World of Darkness, Warhammer and Cthulhu mythos RPGs in the studio. I bet there are a lot more, but I can't think of any right now.

Never played PnP. I got exposed to D&D through Baldur's Gate II and like-wise I only found about Pathfinder universe through Kingmaker.
    I would've never guessed, Purpleblob and Infinity Sock! Well, I was firmly in your camp before I started working in Owlcat (now I'm the "I play once a week" type). I've simply always loved cRPGs. I think it's no secret that my favourite ones are Icewind Dale II and Planescape. I actually also really liked Dragone Age: Origins and KOTOR II, but I'm somehow secretly ashamed of admitting that for some reason. Should I be?

second one was a campaign which I do not remember the name, I only remember it was a heavy-goblin setting, and we went as far as a glass factory in which we chased a culprit down the basement. We played a couple session and the other party members didn't wish to keep playing se we had no choice but to stop...
    Hmm... could it have been "We Be Goblins"? Never played that one, but I'm sure someone here has!

Beyond that my experience in other system adds up to a post that's WAAAAY too long.
    Strat is, as per usual, most courteous! Long posts are EXTREMELY inappropriate on a forum (of all places!) :P
    Last edited by k0tarsis; 04-17-2019 at 12:47 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast