View Poll Results: Have you ever played pen-and-paper Pathfinder?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, never.

8 18.60%
  • Yes, once or twice in my life.

4 9.30%
  • I play regularly.

12 27.91%
  • I'm a DM.

19 44.19%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by k0tarsis View Post
    Well, I was firmly in your camp before I started working in Owlcat (now I'm the "I play once a week" type). I've simply always loved cRPGs. I think it's no secret that my favourite ones are Icewind Dale II and Planescape. I actually also really liked Dragone Age: Origins and KOTOR II, but I'm somehow secretly ashamed of admitting that for some reason. Should I be?
    No.

Hmm... could it have been "We Be Goblins"? Never played that one, but I'm sure someone here has!
    It's Rise of the Runelords. Thainen's Played it. I've GMed it (not for Thainen. Different games entirely).

I actually also really liked Dragone Age: Origins and KOTOR II, but I'm somehow secretly ashamed of admitting that for some reason. Should I be?
    No.
    Good to hear! Somehow, not a lot of PF:KM players mention KOTOR II, let alone DA:O as one of their favorites. Maybe because the first one is in a vastly different setting, and the second a bit too new-school? I thoroughly enjoyed both.
    I was kinda bummed out about the alignment system in KOTOR II though - I really wanted the dark powers AND the good major plot choices, so I had to keep killing random side-quest NPCs and always ask for more money in reward for everything.

It's Rise of the Runelords. Thainen's Played it. I've GMed it (not for Thainen. Different games entirely).
    Huh! I see. Oh well, it was worth a shot!

Senior Member The Infinity Sock's Avatar
    I would've never guessed, Purpleblob and Infinity Sock! Well, I was firmly in your camp before I started working in Owlcat (now I'm the "I play once a week" type). I've simply always loved cRPGs. I think it's no secret that my favourite ones are Icewind Dale II and Planescape. I actually also really liked Dragone Age: Origins and KOTOR II, but I'm somehow secretly ashamed of admitting that for some reason. Should I be?
    Nothing wrong with liking dragon age origins and kotor 2 i do think that kotor 2 was a unfinished game but it had a good story dragon age origins is one of my top favourite games a pity bioware has go down hill but that's what you get when you team up with ea
    Last edited by The Infinity Sock; 04-17-2019 at 04:55 PM.

I actually also really liked Dragone Age: Origins and KOTOR II, but I'm somehow secretly ashamed of admitting that for some reason. Should I be?
    Not at all :)

I think I should be ashamed to admit I really liked Mass Effect 2 (streamlined, shooter RPG lite game!)

Personally, I found DA:O a bit too simplified (still enjoyed it, just not one of my favourites). I liked dialogues in KotOR2 but the game was too clunky and I'm not Star Wars fan :P
    Last edited by purpleblob; 04-17-2019 at 09:20 PM.

Somehow, not a lot of PF:KM players mention KOTOR II, let alone DA:O as one of their favorites. Maybe because the first one is in a vastly different setting, and the second a bit too new-school? I thoroughly enjoyed both.
    I'd guess that most players leave those out because they're not isometric like stuff like Baldur's Gate was. KOTOR II is overall pretty great but that also makes the areas where it wasn't fully finished stand out. DA:O is solid, but I imagine that people who loved creating different builds and characters might not be as big of fans of a system with fewer classes. Still love it myself, even if I don't care for how the game approached alignment - no official alignment chart, but the companions basically reacted to everything like they were good or evil. Both games are great though, especially with their characters and some of the different ways to approach certain areas.

I would've never guessed, Purpleblob and Infinity Sock! Well, I was firmly in your camp before I started working in Owlcat (now I'm the "I play once a week" type). I've simply always loved cRPGs. I think it's no secret that my favourite ones are Icewind Dale II and Planescape. I actually also really liked Dragone Age: Origins and KOTOR II, but I'm somehow secretly ashamed of admitting that for some reason. Should I be?
    not at all. Kotor I et II are pure classics and Dragon Age : Origins is my favorite game in term of discovering the game. I've done over 10 playthroughs over the years so now it's a walk in the parc and less fun than my first time, but what was really fun is when you unlock a subclass it was unlocked for all games. I wasn't interested in being a caster because I've always played bruiser characters, so being glass canon was not fun. When I unlocked the warrior mage class which allowed your INT to be counted as STR, it was reallly nice.

as for the campaign I played, didn't know it was rise of the runelords! Had I known what I learned since I registered into this forum, I would have pushed way more to keep playing the campaign. I heard it is one of the most popular AP

I also have no problem admitting that I am a fan of the Dragon Age games. Heck I even thought DA2 was ok. For all the flaws people can point to in the DA games, they have the two things that are critical to my enjoyment of my RPGs: they are party-based, and they are RTwP.

Like so many others, my cRPG initiation was with Baldur's Gate. And to this day I am one of those who prefers BG1 to BG2. :)

Many years of DMing

Whoops! Seems I've hijacked the PnP thread with my (pretty innocent, I thought at the time) DA:O and KOTOR comment.

So what do you guys think overall of the divide between PnP RPGs and CRPGs? Is there any overlap at all? Or are the experiences nothing alike? Making PF:KM as close to tabletop as possible was one of our goals, but, frankly, I think it's such a complex topic there's still much things we don't really know.
    Say, for me, the most important part is how a game makes me feel. So how the hell do you make a CRPG feel like PnP? Have we actually managed that? If so/if not, why?
    Last edited by k0tarsis; 04-22-2019 at 12:45 PM.

wasn't interested in being a caster because I've always played bruiser characters, so being glass canon was not fun. When I unlocked the warrior mage class which allowed your INT to be counted as STR, it was reallly nice.
    Huh, I see. The first time I've ever played a CRPG, I was 7, I think, and it was in English. So it was actually my sister playing and me watching, asking her "what's going on???" all the time and just being a general nuisance. She still let me have a character though, and it was a Fighter, because I thought that having the most HP and hitting mooks in the face was the most important part.

When I grew up and started playing myself, I firmly switched to casters, and I'm still there. I initially preferred wizards for the wide range of spells, but now I like druids for the utility and flavor. I'm kinda anxious to play sorcerers because it's so hard to pick spells that will be good for the rest of the game. Just thinking about that makes me anxious. How does anyone manage to do that?

In PnP I've also tried an Inquisitor, and I liked the "buff up, hit guys in the face" dynamic quite a bit. I think I'll start moving towards non-caster types even more with age.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast