• Summoner

17 26.15%
  • Vigilante

2 3.08%
  • Witch

17 26.15%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future Classes

I can tell you now that we aren't getting summoner unless it's in a paid DLC. It's a hugely complicated class mechanically, and requires a huge budget to make, not just in coding, but in art assets too.

Vigilante requires a TON of writing to work, because you need people to react differently to different identities. That sort of functionality is probably better built into the game on release, since you don't just want the identities to have different conversations, you also want a vigilante to make sense in context. It's another huge money sink because it doubles writing requirements for a lot of dialogues. It's also a REALLY strong flavor.

Gunslinger's also a really strong flavor, but in addition to that it requires a whole bunch of new mechanics (ammo, reloading, critical failures for guns, guns, grit, the entire rest of the class), and a whole new class of items that needs animating and icon art. It's a lot more likely in terms of budget requirements than Summoner or Vigilante, but the flavor is probably strong enough that it might only drop by in a DLC like kineticist did.

Shifter requires a fair bit of new art asstes, but probably not that many more than an Oracle. The big issue is it's not as popular as other classes.

We're definitely getting Oracle and Witch. But I don't know it they'll be in a DLC for Kingmaker or in the next game. Witch needs a more robust familiar system, I think. Shaman does too. It also needs more spells.

Oracle has a lot of work on curses and mysteries in terms of art and mechanics, but it can be done (Elmindra did it). Also needs more spells.

Honestly Witch and Oracle seen to be the first logical steps for adding to the next game when you're taking existing assets and expanding on them. Updating systems and recoding to add in new stuff without having to worry about backwards compatibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    We're definitely getting Oracle and Witch.
    I'm sorry, but when have the developers said that? Can you point me in the direction of the post?

Quote Originally Posted by Korgz View Post
    I'm sorry, but when have the developers said that? Can you point me in the direction of the post?
    I can't point you that way, sorry. It hasn't been in a public post, but enough devs have mentioned things about Oracle and Witch to me which imply that they're in the works that I'm confident in saying that we'll get them eventually.

Honestly Witch and Oracle seen to be the first logical steps for adding to the next game when you're taking existing assets and expanding on them. Updating systems and recoding to add in new stuff without having to worry about backwards compatibility.
    Thanks for that breakdown Stratagemini - it matches with a lot of what I had been thinking, but you put it a lot more eloquently.

The main challenge that I see with Oracle, beyond wishing that the game and interactive book segments would be able to better reflect whatever curse you pick, is finding a way to make curses matter without being too much of a problem. For example, I know that the mod which adds Oracle has the Tongues curse which apparently makes it so that you can't control other party members. That matches the idea of the curse, but it sounds like it would be sort of a nightmare to actually play with. Figuring out which curses do and do not work in the video games will be a challenge, but I'm looking forward to how the Owlcats solve it!

I can't point you that way, sorry. It hasn't been in a public post, but enough devs have mentioned things about Oracle and Witch to me which imply that they're in the works that I'm confident in saying that we'll get them eventually.
    Those two classes are also probably the most popular PF classes they aren't in the game. Everytime there is a poll about new classes, those two always have the two top spots.

Senior Member The Infinity Sock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Naliamegod View Post
    Those two classes are also probably the most popular PF classes they aren't in the game. Everytime there is a poll about new classes, those two always have the two top spots.
    That's why i am kinda surprised that owlcat would put in classes like kineticist slayer and swordlord you would think that there would put in the most popular classes in first as it would be a good way to sell dlcs

Quote Originally Posted by The Infinity Sock View Post
    That's why i am kinda surprised that owlcat would put in classes like kineticist slayer and swordlord you would think that there would put in the most popular classes in first as it would be a good way to sell dlcs
    Kineticist was a (pleasant) surprise for me too, but I could imagine it has its fans among the Owlcat people. Paizo steadily supported the class too, maybe this mattered. Further the class has a distinct playstyle, making the addition more worthwhile.

Slayer is probably relatively little effort to implement: Its parent classes are already in the game and studied target should fit well into the computer game mechanics.

Swordlord is thematic for the campaign's setting.

Quote Originally Posted by BurningSheep View Post
    Kineticist was a (pleasant) surprise for me too, but I could imagine it has its fans among the Owlcat people. Paizo steadily supported the class too, maybe this mattered. Further the class has a distinct playstyle, making the addition more worthwhile.

Slayer is probably relatively little effort to implement: Its parent classes are already in the game and studied target should fit well into the computer game mechanics.

Swordlord is thematic for the campaign's setting.
    That's pretty much exactly right. In addition Swordlord was the most requested Prestige class by far across all communications platforms (clearly they only counted my 400 requests for red mantis assassins as 1 request).

For Kineticist you missed a few reasons. Kineticist, as a class, is really a ranged damage dealer, but not a full-fledged caster. They didn't really have any classes that filled that role (aside from maybe ranger?) and so Kineticist was a good choice that way. Kineticist also seemed like it was worth the amount that a DLC would cost. The DLC was basically a new companion, and they wanted to just do one new class and one new race to go with the new companion, and Kineticist had new mechanics, and a lot of visual appeal and the work that was required to bring it to life seemed to fit well with how much the DLC would cost.

Similarly Slayer fit well with a Free DLC in terms of effort, and it's also a pretty popular class among Pathfinder Players.

Ah, thanks for the insights. :)

While I would love to see the classes on the list, I would like to see the Hybrid classes too. I suspect most would be very easy to implement :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast