Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Senior Member Stratagemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,003

    New TURN-BASED MOD

    So, I've heard that some people enjoy Turn Based Combat. Well, Hsinyu from Discord just dropped this onto Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/pathfinderkingmaker/mods/109

    Enjoy, and if you like it be sure to leave a post thanking them. A lot of work and effort went into making this for you guys!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Triordinant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    The Dark Side of the Moon
    Posts
    119
    Nice! If a modder can do it, implementing a Turn-Based option for Kingmaker (and future Pathfinder CRPGs) should be easy for Owlcats.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Triordinant View Post
    Nice! If a modder can do it, implementing a Turn-Based option for Kingmaker (and future Pathfinder CRPGs) should be easy for Owlcats.
    To do a shoddy job, yes, probably not too difficult. To do a good job, a different story.
    You're assuming 1. the modder's work was relatively simple just because it was done by an unpaid modder and 2. that the mod is problem free.

    Both are poor assumptions to make.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Stratagemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by Triordinant View Post
    Nice! If a modder can do it, implementing a Turn-Based option for Kingmaker (and future Pathfinder CRPGs) should be easy for Owlcats.
    For Owlcat to do the job right would require a major rebalancing of a lot of encounters to give more EXP and happen less often (You don't see random encounters in D:OS2 for instance). That by itself is a pretty huge job. They'd have to do a lot of UI work too, and maybe even implement a grid system They'd have to change sneak attack mechanics and a Lot of other stuff just off the top of my head as a non-programmer. No one has ever doubted that it could be done. Owlcat has never said they can't do it. They've said that reversing the decision is a lot of work and they're not sure it's a viable option given the cost.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    73
    The thing that nobody has yet explained to me is why RTwP games need to "cater to TB fans" but the reverse is never expected. And don't even think to try and tell me that it's because "Pathfinder is TB" because that is complete BS.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pathfinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Stolen Lands
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by kanisatha View Post
    The thing that nobody has yet explained to me is why RTwP games need to "cater to TB fans" but the reverse is never expected. And don't even think to try and tell me that it's because "Pathfinder is TB" because that is complete BS.
    This is not a real answer but. Some games like Fallout, I really loved I & II but rest (not turn based) I have not bought them or play them. Just because I do not want to play RPG games like Quake / Dukenukem 3D (first 2 games what come to my mind in FPS games, yes I am old). Do I still play this game, or Tyranny / Pillars and so on. Yes, but because I can choose from multiple pause options. So for me "enough pause options" and clear enough rules of so called "turns" is what I want. Reason why I have not even played Witcher 3 is same as latest Fallout games (allso yes, I am one of these few who actually bought and played first [Witcher] game, and loved it).

    So for me: I do not care so much if RPG is "automatic" turn based or not, but if there are no auto-pause options during fights I just do not like it so much. If I want jumping game I buy jumping game, same for shooter or driver games. I did love first Mafia game, but I did not buy it because I expected deep RPG system or experience.

    In RPG genre I get a feeling that what happen should not be based on your reflex, how good you (player) are. But what kind of PC and companions are. If person who play is 8 year old or 80 year old, they reflex should not matter, they get same experience for RPG (naturally you might look a bit different aspect from game if you are 8 then if you are 80 but that is different thing).
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDumas View Post
    To do a shoddy job, yes, probably not too difficult. To do a good job, a different story.
    You're assuming 1. the modder's work was relatively simple just because it was done by an unpaid modder and 2. that the mod is problem free.

    Both are poor assumptions to make.
    Have you watched the actual video? It is most impressive and plays very much like TB in Fallout.

  8. #8
    Senior Member purpleblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by kanisatha View Post
    The thing that nobody has yet explained to me is why RTwP games need to "cater to TB fans" but the reverse is never expected. And don't even think to try and tell me that it's because "Pathfinder is TB" because that is complete BS.
    Yeah, I agree with you 100% as well! There is NOTHING WRONG with RTwP!!!

  9. #9
    Senior Member Stratagemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    1,003
    Hsinyu (who made the mod) just uploaded a demo video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX4_r5YPJ_Y

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    This is not a real answer but. Some games like Fallout, I really loved I & II but rest (not turn based) I have not bought them or play them. Just because I do not want to play RPG games like Quake / Dukenukem 3D (first 2 games what come to my mind in FPS games, yes I am old). Do I still play this game, or Tyranny / Pillars and so on. Yes, but because I can choose from multiple pause options. So for me "enough pause options" and clear enough rules of so called "turns" is what I want. Reason why I have not even played Witcher 3 is same as latest Fallout games (allso yes, I am one of these few who actually bought and played first [Witcher] game, and loved it).

    So for me: I do not care so much if RPG is "automatic" turn based or not, but if there are no auto-pause options during fights I just do not like it so much. If I want jumping game I buy jumping game, same for shooter or driver games. I did love first Mafia game, but I did not buy it because I expected deep RPG system or experience.

    In RPG genre I get a feeling that what happen should not be based on your reflex, how good you (player) are. But what kind of PC and companions are. If person who play is 8 year old or 80 year old, they reflex should not matter, they get same experience for RPG (naturally you might look a bit different aspect from game if you are 8 then if you are 80 but that is different thing).
    I'm a middle-aged person who did not grow up with video games and has never played anything on consoles, and I don't see anything you've said here as being representative of RTwP. Playing RTwP has nothing to do with my reflexes or my skills as a player. So I just don't understand your point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •