Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pathfinder Kingmaker to Buldur's Gate/NWN is like Orville to Star Trek

Not sure if this analogy make sense, but after playing this game for a week. I feel like this is THE true spiritual successor to the classic series of BG/NWN in spite of its flaws (mainly bugs).
    In comparison, I am very concern if Larian can actually do a good job with BG3. I mean they are good company and I enjoyed the original sin (DOS1 more than DOS2) but i really feel in its core they are different games, the gameplay and storytelling style are very different.
    I am saddened Pathfinder wasn't as big a hit as it deserved.
    Would be really nice if Owlcats will be making BG3 instead of Larian.

P.S. Apologize to STD fans for the Orville analogy, but you know I am right ;-P

Well, I feel the exact same way - I actually see Kingmaker as the true spiritual successor to BG series, so pretty disappointed that its Larian making BG"3".

The more companies try to create new CRPG legends, the better. If I had to choose between BG3 being announced and two less famous, but equally promising CRPGs being announced, I'd rather take the second. Calling a game "Baldur's Gate III" might help selling a game, but the high and specific expectations actually corner developers - they can't simply make the game they want, they have to pay a lot of attention what customers want. Further the expectations can also kill the fun for players - they might have enjoyed the game if it wouldn't have been called "BG3" but so they don't.

Accordingly, I enjoy both Orville and Star Trek: Discovery. They are simply two different things, like Babylon 5 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine a long time ago...

Quote Originally Posted by BurningSheep View Post
    Accordingly, I enjoy both Orville and Star Trek: Discovery. They are simply two different things, like Babylon 5 and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine a long time ago...
    Memoryshare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhc_Oem8Whc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-91sZNbQCw

Never realized the intros were that different in style - thanks.

Speaking of style, BG3's trailer with its explicit horror elements rather seems to be in line with Dragon Age than with previous Baldur's Gate titles. On the other hand, it's just a trailer...

Quote Originally Posted by BurningSheep View Post
    Never realized the intros were that different in style - thanks.
    They had different styles but both were significant because they were able to deal with real-world issues like racism, religious fundamentalism, capitalism and populism because they were "science fiction" shows. Those issues are just as relevant today as they were 25 years ago, maybe even more so.

I agree, but I have faith in Larian too. A lot more than I do in STD2

I agree not only Kingmaker is the true spiritual successor to BG/NWN series, but also say it gave me more fun than DA and/or Divinity series.
    But i´m glad BG3 went somewhere else.
    I´m sure Owlcat would do an awesome job making BG3, but pathfinder is much underrepresented when compared to D&D in computer games, even if considering only from Pathfinder Core release to now.
    So i hope Owlcat will keep working with Paizo and give us more cRPG goodness based in Golarion.

I hated the D:OS games, so yes I too am very pessimistic about Larian's BG3. And what's already been said in interviews since the reveal only strengthen my feelings that it will be a silly, dumbed-down action game, a D:OS2 remake pretending to be a Baldur's Gate game.

I don't think that anyone can actually make a "worthy" sequel to the BG series. And that's for the simple reason, that the series came to an end with ToB.
    For me personally the whole series was about the bhalspawn MC and his role in the bhalspawn prophecy. And that was concluded one way or another. What's there left to tell?
    The 3. behind the title is a marketing move. May as well call it "BG: Rise of the Mind Flayers" . Would be probably more fitting as it won't be a sequel to the original series.
    It might be a pretty good game on it's own. It's to soon to judge. Haven't seen anything other than the cinematic.
    And it will be probably filled with loads of jokes and puns. Don't let the grim cinematic fool you. It's still Larian we are talking about:-)
    Last edited by ujope; 06-21-2019 at 10:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast