Anyone else wish they could have their cleric use raise dead on NPC's?

I've just run across what I think is the 3rd "random commoner with wife and kids" who's died prior to my arrival as part of a questilne and I'm just staring at the two clerics with raise dead and 1 other character with UMD who could use a scroll and going "Well how about you? Want to take a few minutes to keep some kids from growing up as orphans or starving to death? No, really, I'll pay for it . . . nope guess we'll just walk away and leave this poor father to rot without even bothering to bury him even though its well within our ability to bring him back to life and give a family a happy ending. Never mind that I'm lawful good, your good and your well ok Harrim I can see why you'd object to this but sitll."

The especially annoying part about this one is you can "fail" the quest by giving what he was transporting to his widow, give her some gold or take a permanent BP reduction to provide her a pension (what I did) but not have the priests in your barony/kingdom resurect her husband. Even if like me you have multiple priests in your group who can do it.

Anyway I'm just wondering if all these dead commoners as part of quests make people want to raise them or if its just me?
    Last edited by Senko; 08-27-2019 at 02:22 AM.

You are not alone! There are some people dying in this game that I'd love to resurrect, and I'm always sad I can't.

But I can also understand that you simply cannot raise the dead left and right for the duration of the campaign. I'm not well versed in Pathfinder lore, but I cannot imagine that raising the dead is something you can do all the time to everyone, because then Pharasma would be out of her job. ;) So there must be some rules in place when a soul can still be raised, but it gets never addressed in the game how it works exactly.

Maybe with the next Pathfinder game, we can see a limited resurrection-for-NPCs feature? Like some very rare and limited special 'Raise Dead' scrolls, so that the player gets the chance to save at least one or two and can then agonize over who to save? In a world where resurrection is possible, I'd like to see such a feature!

I think in universe the lore is that even in this world beings with the power to raise the dead are rare and usualy concerned with great matters while for the average peasant even if they could find one it'd be more than they earn in a lifetime to pay for the raw materials consumed by the spell. However that's the good thing about being an adventurer you either make friends with a cleric or learn how to do it yourself and can make a difference to the people who suffer. It's one thing I liked about Baldur's gate there's one scene where a town's being attacked and a little girls father dies in front of you and you can choose to resurect him. There's also one mod that adds a littel girl who's cat keeps dying and depending on your reputation she either accuses you of killing it when you find it at the base of a waterfall or simply shrugs it off as her daddy will just bring the kitty back to life again (which may explain why it keeps jumping off the waterfall).

1st ed had much harsher consquences both to the person being raised and the person doing the raising but now its "If soul is free = resurect" and yet we can't make a difference by benevolently restoring life to these humble people who were in the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Well, computer games are a bit handicapped here, in comparison to PnP. A GM could always improvise and make up some NPC reactions, even if it's just a "Thank you". For a computer game developers have to write a lot of text beforehand. Writing raise dead dialogues for any potential target of the spell would add quite a bit of work - and the many players who don't bother to raise would never see it. So it's usually not an efficient way to spend development time - probably the most scarce resource you have in such a project.

However, having a few NPCs that could be brought back to life can be worth the effort, to increase immersion and feeling of power. Alternatively, a lot of NPCs could be covered - with a generic line of text (like "Wow, thank you") and no plot consequences. Both might make players ask for more, though.

Perhaps though considering they took the time for one quest to allow you to take a permanent BP hit paying a pension to the widow that could be a raise him option instead. I do understand you couldn't do it for every single random NPC though but if there's an attached quest written up for them already it could work.

EDIT
    The fun thing is in one side quest after protecting some innocents from a wisdom draining creature I could after the fight cast restoration on them to restore the ability damage. No response but still fun.
    Last edited by Senko; 08-28-2019 at 11:49 PM.