"Beneath The Stolen Lands" and "Varnhold's Lot"

I haven't played for more than half a year and now I bought all DLC.
    Unfortunately, I have no idea how these DLCs are to be played, and I have nowhere found a sufficiently understandable explanation.

If I start a new game now, can both DLCs be played automatically as part of the main story?

When I tried to start "Varnhold's Lot", the game wanted me to "import the game", which together with the fact that this dlc should somehow affecting the main story only deepened my confusion.

"Beneath The Stolen Lands" has some mention about the invitation during the main story, but I'd rather ask now than regret wasting a few dozen hours, because I misunderstood some triviality.

Thank you very much to anyone who clarifies the relationship between these DLCs and main game.
    Last edited by Edvin; 09-22-2019 at 01:11 PM.

"Varnhold's Lot" is played with a separate character, you start at level 5 and end with 7 or 8 (at least that's what I remember). You can import a save from the main campaign, so your PC from there is shown - but it's not a must, just a nice touch for the intro. Just hit "Cancel" (or something similar, if you use a different language).

Just be warned, Varnhold's default companions are rather... squishy which might result in problems later. Consider playing someone with high AC yourself or add a custom PC with tanking abilities.

When it comes to "Beneath The Stolen Lands", you can either enter it at level 1 directly. Or you play the main campaign for some levels, until you stumble upon the entrance.

Correct, importing a save into Varnhold does nothing except let you see your protagonist in the throne room. However importing a Varnhold save into the main campaign does slightly more because there is a main-campaign merchant who will sell some Varnhold items. Still the crossover is pretty minimal in both directions.

Quote Originally Posted by jsaving View Post
    However importing a Varnhold save into the main campaign does slightly more because there is a main-campaign merchant who will sell some Varnhold items.
    And how is that done?

Once you hit the relevant chapter in the main campaign, the game will ask you to import the Varnhold campaign save.