Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Masky View Post
    As far as I know, evil players on first playthrough are minority overall at least according from statistics from different RPGs (since for most people it feels better to be hero), but apparently surprisingly very vocal minority on this forum ._.

Like, it does kinda confuse me since I figured out evil playthroughs are what you do after you have played the game the way you are "supposed" to play them. I'm not sure if appeal comes just from liking "Mwhahaah I'm evil" or "lol I'm jerk to everyone" or if its some sort of enjoyment in doing the opposite of thing you are expected to do?

Like I'd rather not assume its because some players are actually cruel :P
    Thanks. This actually is interesting to consider. I too am trying to not think of my fellow forumites and gamers as truly being evil, obviously, but at the same time also trying to wrap my brain around the idea of why anyone would want to play evil; what the attraction is for playing evil.

I think most people play good guys because they like being told how good they are. In most games they are done poorly, you usually have the option to save a kitty or to burn down the tree. Kingmaker luckily has a lot of opportunities that make sense, I loved playing a selfish CN Magus who used everyone and lied the whole time talking about freedom and trust but killed those who opposed him like Tristan. And even allied with his enemies in order to gain power.

Quote Originally Posted by Masky View Post
    As far as I know, evil players on first playthrough are minority overall at least according from statistics from different RPGs (since for most people it feels better to be hero), but apparently surprisingly very vocal minority on this forum ._.

Like, it does kinda confuse me since I figured out evil playthroughs are what you do after you have played the game the way you are "supposed" to play them. I'm not sure if appeal comes just from liking "Mwhahaah I'm evil" or "lol I'm jerk to everyone" or if its some sort of enjoyment in doing the opposite of thing you are expected to do?

Like I'd rather not assume its because some players are actually cruel :P
    I always play Lawful Evil when i can. Even if it's the first time i'm playing the game.

I find Anti-heroes and Villains (Such as Imperius and Mephisto from Diablo) much more fascinating in general. Purely Good characters are incredibly boring for me (Anduin Wrynn in WoW, for example) and completely unrealistic.

Also, fascist-military organizations like the Empire in Star Wars, the Brotherhood of Steel/Enclave in Fallout and the Hellknights in Pathfinder always look cool.

And in general, i find evil fascinating
    Last edited by Beffagorn; 12-08-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Personally, playing good holds no attraction for me whatsoever. Not only do I find it uninteresting and unrealistic, but ultimately hypocritical as well. Evil characters may include the worst examples of people, but they're at the very least honest to themselves.

I usually play either neutral with graviations towards evil, or evil with gravitations towards chaotic. One appeal of playing as evil is that players can do things they would never do in real life. And that's the reason why I play RPG's in the first place: to become someone through gaming who is different from the "real me".

Similarly: I prefer the chaotic side of things due to their outside-the-box thinking. Never saw much of an appeal in law and its rigid thinking, Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by kanisatha View Post
    Thanks. This actually is interesting to consider. I too am trying to not think of my fellow forumites and gamers as truly being evil, obviously, but at the same time also trying to wrap my brain around the idea of why anyone would want to play evil; what the attraction is for playing evil.
    Now I am totally confused. Do people REALLY think that if they choose to play:
    - Opposite sex
    - Different attributes (like more con, int, str, dex and so on)
    - Other then that "one" aligment
    - Any other race then human
    During gameplay they: kill someone/something, get married or even (gasp) do magic...

They somehow become different from who / what they are?
    In P&P, LARP, CRPG, boardgames and so on it is totally OK (for me) to try different builds and see what happen. I do not become skaven if I play one...
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    Now I am totally confused. Do people REALLY think that if they choose to play:
    - Opposite sex
    - Different attributes (like more con, int, str, dex and so on)
    - Other then that "one" aligment
    - Any other race then human
    During gameplay they: kill someone/something, get married or even (gasp) do magic...

They somehow become different from who / what they are?
    In P&P, LARP, CRPG, boardgames and so on it is totally OK (for me) to try different builds and see what happen. I do not become skaven if I play one...
    Huh? I specifically say I'm NOT thinking of people that way.
    In any case, I do find it personally troubling that people find evil fascinating. For me it is evil that is unappealing in every way; there's nothing deep or fascinating or intriguing or interesting there.

It DOES however say unfortunate things about modern culture to consider "good" unrealistic and boring and "evil" realistic and interesting :P Saying that good is inherently hypocritical is really misanthropic thing to say.

Like I don't actually find it that weird to like playing evil characters in single player games, I just find the whole "good guys are boooooring!" weird because it implies you don't like helping people. And I say that as someone who doesn't believe intrinsic values exist metaphysically xP

I do however understand why people would be creeped out by it. I mean even if you are in real life philanthropist who does volunteer work and donates everything they have to charity, if you go around saying "Man I just love playing as fascists who commit genocide and serial killers!" people are going to think that sounds weird in scary way :p

I think for lot of people troubled by that its easier to understand preferring to play neutral characters instead of good, the jump over to opposite end of spectrum is what weirds them out.
    Last edited by Masky; 12-10-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Well to each their own. I find evil to be extremely boring, and the whole idea of trying to "understand" where an evil character is coming from and why they are the way they are is silly to me. Evil people just have something unfixably wrong upstairs, and the only thing to do with them is to put them down just like you would a rabid dog. Nothing to ponder or understand there.

As an extension, then, I personally feel "evil" antagonists in videogames (and other media) to be the biggest, shallowest and most boring cliches of all. If you want interesting, deep, complex antagonists, make them (per D&D language) chaotic or neutral or even lawful. They don't have to be "good," but they don't have to be "evil" either.

Considering in this adventure path its literally stop the hordes of hell or lose the world I don't see cutting a deal with them as a good idea. This is not really a good adventure path for those who want to go the evil route unlike say skull and shackles.

Personally I'm hoping the Arcanist class and kitsune race make it into this game.

As for the mythic paths I'm of mixed feelings about the immortal lich one on the one paw immortality is good it rarely impacts a game but its always something that appeals to me personally. On another one though the whole undead lich part doesn't appeal to me immortality in the table top version is normally straight living immortality no need to be undead, sacrifice your children, etc you find a way to live forever and you do live till someone kills you. The dufference between eternal life and eternal death is important and a mythic path is a requirement for this. Ah well we'll see I'm sure the other 3 are probably going to contain one warrior type path since we've got mage, priest and thief already listed as part of the game that leaves two which could go different ways depending on which classes they choose to focus on..
    Last edited by Senko; 12-12-2019 at 01:28 AM.

Personally, I would have preferred to see a game based on an Adventure Path set in Varisia (Could be for example Rise of the Runelords or Curse of the Crimson Throne), which is sort of the heartland of the Golarion setting. It would be an important part of the setting to showcase I would think, before other lands.

And also, sure demons are fun to play with, but I can't easily envision many roleplay or story-based opportunities on a barren wasteland teeming with murderous demons everywhere, and with very few civilized sanctuaries. I can't help but imagine this game will probably be by it's very nature extremely action focused, based on it's setting. I really, really hope, not every interaction with demons will consist of endless battles. That could get tiresome very quickly.
    Last edited by deserk; 12-11-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast