Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Will there be Mod support?

What will your stance be on supporting mods for Kingmaker?

Personally, I feel that supporting the modding community gives a game longevity and re-play appeal, and mods have really helped games like Skyrim and Fallout. So I'm for it!

Mods were only reason why I kept playing multiple years Neverwinter Nights in many, many server (mods AND full DM tools).
    But this far no official support have been promised, we can only hope. Allso we have to remember that now days graphic is "bit" better and use bit more expensive tools to be created (tools what most people can not even give for players to use even if they want to).

That told, I would be still be really really happy if we would get multiplayer support, mod support and Game Master tools like in Neverwinter Nights and NWN2 games. One can allways wish. But on the other hand I totally understand that would easily delay this game ear or more in release date so...
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar
    Yeah well, if we had a Skyrim or Fallout style budget to work with...

Thing is, we just don't have the resources, so we're focusing on a strong single player experience and we're not promising any mod tools. Sword Coast legends promised a toolset and a GM mode on a budget aaaaand... yeah.
    Ye cannae touch this! - Clan McHammer

Quote Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
    Yeah well, if we had a Skyrim or Fallout style budget to work with...

Thing is, we just don't have the resources, so we're focusing on a strong single player experience and we're not promising any mod tools. Sword Coast legends promised a toolset and a GM mode on a budget aaaaand... yeah.
    On the whole, I'm much more enamored with the "We're not going to over-promise, and we plan to deliver on everything we do promise!" method of game design than the Peter Molyneux; "Tell them whatever you need to to get them to buy the game. they'll probably enjoy it even without those features you promised, right?" method of game design.

While a toolset would be nice, it isn't the only way for fans to mod. If for example Pathfinder: Kingmaker will utilize something akin to an external dialogue.tlk data file. Or perhaps .2da's which contain the feats/races/whatever lists similar to the NwN's games. Then it would be simple enough for the community to pretty much mod as they please. As long as it will have an Override folder, that is.

That being said, it really comes down to the sctructure of the game files. Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny for example weren't really modding friendly in their sctructure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamigoroshi View Post
    While a toolset would be nice, it isn't the only way for fans to mod. If for example Pathfinder: Kingmaker will utilize something akin to an external dialogue.tlk data file. Or perhaps .2da's which contain the feats/races/whatever lists similar to the NwN's games. Then it would be simple enough for the community to pretty much mod as they please. As long as it will have an Override folder, that is.

That being said, it really comes down to the sctructure of the game files. Pillars of Eternity and Tyranny for example weren't really modding friendly in their sctructure.
    They're using the Unity Engine, which isn't known to be the most mod-friendly in the world. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar
    Thing is, NWN was designed to be modded. Pillars, Tyranny and PFK are all Unity-based, so I reckon modding won't exactly be super comfortable here. Personally, I love mods. I'm running Skyrim with well over 200 mods installed and I'll take a modified Baldur's Gate using tools like BGTutu over Beamdog's stuff any day. Mods are great! It's just that modding tools need to be intuitive and user-friendly, they need proper documentation, they have to be stable... if we want to meet our deadline, then we only have one year to finish this game. With all the stretch goals and community rewards included. If we promised modding tools or a GM mode on top of all that, it would likely end in tears.
    Ye cannae touch this! - Clan McHammer

I agree an honest response is best - if modding tools are super hard to implement then say so. It is a pity though. One of the things that makes Baldur's Gate 2 so awesome even today is you can return to it and find something that wasn't there a couple of years ago. So many characters have asked to join my party in BG2 I could likely do 5 different run throughs with completely different party members. Occasionally there's even a new quest, or a new solution to an old quest. I was hoping POE would be the same, but alas. At least Kingmaker gets the archetypes to increase replayability.

But I'd much rather be a little disappointed now than set my expectations too high and bee disappointed when the game comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
    Thing is, NWN was designed to be modded. Pillars, Tyranny and PFK are all Unity-based, so I reckon modding won't exactly be super comfortable here. Personally, I love mods. I'm running Skyrim with well over 200 mods installed and I'll take a modified Baldur's Gate using tools like BGTutu over Beamdog's stuff any day. Mods are great! It's just that modding tools need to be intuitive and user-friendly, they need proper documentation, they have to be stable... if we want to meet our deadline, then we only have one year to finish this game. With all the stretch goals and community rewards included. If we promised modding tools or a GM mode on top of all that, it would likely end in tears.
    This is entirely reasonable. Honestly just knowing that the desire for mods is well-understood from a user standpoint seems fine. I'm fairly ok with letting the competent people do their thing. A gamer will probably understand if they'd be ashamed to play their game, and that it's not really about just being shiny and having a ton of bells.

Many fond memories of running mods in NWN, I was part of a huge project called A Land Far Away (ALFA) in which we recreated pretty much the entire sword coast, I had the pleasure of running the Baldurs Gate server, we had many exciting adventures. I am a particular fan of persistent worlds and continuity.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast