Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I'm okay with a "vanilla" (unmodded) Kingmaker.

Though I would urge that at least all text is exposed in some moddable fashion; so that fansubs can be made (for those that would like Spanish, Italian, and Klingon).

I would love mod support, but if it's not built into the framework it's a bit hard to develop ex post facto.

At this point what I want to be modifiable are Custom portraits (which have been promised), custom voice sets (which have not), and the game script (for fan translations). I'd love for the game to support custom modules. But that's really expensive and complicated to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
    Thing is, NWN was designed to be modded. Pillars, Tyranny and PFK are all Unity-based, so I reckon modding won't exactly be super comfortable here. Personally, I love mods. I'm running Skyrim with well over 200 mods installed and I'll take a modified Baldur's Gate using tools like BGTutu over Beamdog's stuff any day. Mods are great! It's just that modding tools need to be intuitive and user-friendly, they need proper documentation, they have to be stable... if we want to meet our deadline, then we only have one year to finish this game. With all the stretch goals and community rewards included. If we promised modding tools or a GM mode on top of all that, it would likely end in tears.
    This question is not intended to be mean spirited. It comes my position of ignorance on the whole modding thing.

How long would it take to implement the mod toolset people are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Mogloth View Post
    This question is not intended to be mean spirited. It comes my position of ignorance on the whole modding thing.

How long would it take to implement the mod toolset people are talking about?
    Months, at least. It really depends on how large the team dedicated to it is. And it gets harder when the game is designed and finished first to complete a toolset later.

Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar
    Don't worry, none of this came across as mean-spirited. :)

I believe Stratagemini is pretty much spot on there. And it's not just about actually implementing a functional toolset, which works, is easy to use and runs stable. Language is another factor. The team is based in Russia and most of the guys don't speak a lot of English. It's one thing translating quest text, stories, item names and other such things for a game. But imagine you had a complex toolset for a game, which allowed you to create characters, items, monsters, branching dialoge, set flags, do everything it takes to create your very own adventure and the whole thing was in a foreign language. And it was your job to translate all these features and functions and possibly a manual. With very little context, because you're a translator, not a programmer, so you may not even understand what any of the stuff you're translating actually means.

I'm saying this as somebody who once made the first translation for a MOBA and they gave me all the terms for their cash shop and meta currencies and abilities and skills with absolutely no context. The idea of having to translate an entire toolset sounds like hell to me. :D
    Ye cannae touch this! - Clan McHammer

Yeah, it take lot of time and money. In Total War: Warhammer (game what sell, I dare to say, bit more then this game will) it take around year to make and release map editor (After game was released, and I bet they did make that game atleast 5 year). Creators can not just give tools they use and say "here it is, it is in russian language, most of the time we just stab code between there but if you are worked in code for last 10-20 year you most likely start understand it for next 6 month like I did" and expect us to ever learn how to use it. Not to mention copyrights, they can not just give bought programs they have to create they own to custom create maps, areas, items, scripts and so on. Then add tutorials and answer our questions, make some videos.. ..it would take long time and plenty of money.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

OK. Thanks for answering.

To be honest, I don't see a huge need for mods in a game of this style. The only one I would be mainly interested in would be being able to mod out spiders and replace them with something else. I wasn't able to play the Dragon Age games or Skyrim until those mods came out. But, based on the videos of Kingmaker out there, I think I might be able to weasel my way through it here.

I understand that just closing your eyes and flailing at the keyboard simulates doing the same thing in the game very well!

Quote Originally Posted by Mogloth View Post
    OK. Thanks for answering.

To be honest, I don't see a huge need for mods in a game of this style. The only one I would be mainly interested in would be being able to mod out spiders and replace them with something else. I wasn't able to play the Dragon Age games or Skyrim until those mods came out. But, based on the videos of Kingmaker out there, I think I might be able to weasel my way through it here.
    Another reason to have the silly cheat code to replace every characters and monsters with (owl)cats!

I think one of the big issues is unity. As discussed out-of-the-box unity isn't very mod-friendly. I'm thinking about a similar sized studio with Harebrained Studios and they had to scope out mod tools right from the start. They were then able to use those tools to build the game itself but it was planned from Day 1 (or close to it) AND it definitely took resources away from their single-player games.
    I know! Start swinging! Eventually you'll lop off the head of someone important and then the good fights will REALLY start!
    -- Lilarcor

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast