History of your main character

I hope we will have atleast somekind of choices to make for our backstory. I do not mean that we get actually chance to play it but after all for some reason we are the chosen one's.

We are there for a reason, we are given mission, we are recruited or so on.

So we do need some background. I hope we can get atleast some options to choose like in Tyranny, not just "you awake can not remember anything from your past but you have letter in your pocket saying: 'go and conquer land for youself'" :)

What happen our childhood? How being race, aligment, having skills, abilities and so on affected us during our life untill the point that someone important somewhere (yes, it is vague but I try to avoid all possible spoilers) give us important mission, or atleast we were part of that mission or did we just kill someone who had that mission in first place and take his place?

Let's say we are human fighter sword lord. It sound kind of cool and logical that most likely we were best of our school or so, maybe even noble from birth and chosen to lead this group based on that. Or maybe we fought hard (using mean tricks if that is our nature) to win tournament with this great price. But what if we were rebels caught hunting in someone private lands and managed to trap / avoid many of his hunters and given change to either lose and arm (and that way never use bow again) or be scout of this group (and later become leader when leader die during our way to point where game start?)

So what I am saying is: please, please DO NOT make us start without backstory. "You awake, you are leader of small group trying to make kingdom for youself, be kind and roll your character" <= that would be boring start, really. Then "magically" everyone you encounter would maybe still react you as they would have heard from you before, when even youself do not have a clue from your background.

So, let's talk from this and I hope to get some feedback from BK and developpers allso :)
    Last edited by Pathfinder; 07-21-2017 at 08:23 AM.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

A bundle of backstories/backgrounds to pick from during the character creation would be great. Pillars of Eternity style.
    It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

The Adventure Path has a Player's Guide with some Campaign Traits for characters, that give the character a reason to have joined an expedition to the Stolen Lands.

You can even find them here, just scroll down about half the site to the KINGMAKER heading.

I really hope those are lifted into the game.

For my most memorable play of Kingmaker, I refer to Jemini of Lebeda. The campaign trait for her had her be a scion of nobility of the area (the merchant noble house of Lebeda).

Quote Originally Posted by Frazzlerunning View Post
    The Adventure Path has a Player's Guide with some Campaign Traits for characters, that give the character a reason to have joined an expedition to the Stolen Lands.

You can even find them here, just scroll down about half the site to the KINGMAKER heading.

I really hope those are lifted into the game.
    Hey, thanks, That's exactly what I'm hoping for.
    By the way, one of the noble families is called LODOVKA, which in Polish means REFRIGIRATOR. That noble house is ruined for me ;)
    It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

My name means 'food' in Swedish and 'curse words' in Russian. Sometimes that's just how things work out. :/

It might be asking too much honestly, but I like the idea. I would suggest using the Ultimate Campaign background generation with campaign traits thrown in.
    [I]Vivat Grendel![/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Mat View Post
    'curse words' in Russian.
    And 'rug' too
    Not everything so bad ^ ^

Page 10-12 of the free Paizo Kingmakers Player's guide. Campaign traits that provide a good framework for your characters backstory.
    Last edited by Ryanthusar; 07-22-2017 at 10:36 AM.

I didn't actually like the back stories for Pillars of Eternity. They had two little bearing on the game world. I much prefer the more personal experience of Baldurs Gate. Gorion was your foster father. Imoen a functional sister. People recognised you and told embarrassing stories from your childhood. Heck, even the main bad guy tied in. I couldn't play icewind dale, neverwinter night's or Oblivion for a few years after playing Baldurs Gate. I tried, but waking up in a prison/just wandering into a town feels so, so hollow. I want to belong in the world im playing. Hence i enjoy games with defined characters like The Witcher. Geralt belongs in his world. He has old friends and ex lovers. He belongs. I'd prefer owlcats give everyone one backstory and link in old rivals and friends. How you respond to them can be the difference.
    Dragon Age: Origins also did back stories well because they were woven into the game.